free website stats program Changing Oil in Primary Chaincase | Harley Davidson Forums

Changing Oil in Primary Chaincase

bobbeidel

How do you change the oil in the primary chaincase? In particular, refilling the chaincase. I have a 2001 Road King.

Thanks,

Bob

You drain through the bottom most bolt in the case and to refill it you can use the chain inspection cover and add the proper amount of oil or you can open the derby cover and fill to the bottom of the clutch basket, the silver part with the bike upright and level.

I would strongly suggest getting the factory manual from the dealer. The procedure for doing this should be covered in the owners manual as well as the self help area.

I know what you are talking about here. When I changed mine a few thou ago, I thought, how the heck do I get it back in without most of the oil hitting the ground instead of going in the case? All I did was take some tinfoil and made a wide "funnel" out of it by first shaping it to fit into the derby cover and under/close to the clutch, the I shaped the outer part enough so I could dump in the oil. No problem at all.
BTW, the stealer told me that 32 oz was just a fine amount when I asked about the level of oil, seeing a "quart" is 32oz and the spec is 38 for the case. Have heard this from several people.

I know what you are talking about here. When I changed mine a few thou ago, I thought, how the heck do I get it back in without most of the oil hitting the ground instead of going in the case? All I did was take some tinfoil and made a wide "funnel" out of it by first shaping it to fit into the derby cover and under/close to the clutch, the I shaped the outer part enough so I could dump in the oil. No problem at all.
BTW, the stealer told me that 32 oz was just a fine amount when I asked about the level of oil, seeing a "quart" is 32oz and the spec is 38 for the case. Have heard this from several people.

The specs call for 38oz my bike gets 38oz. Some say that mid grade gas is OK also, but you'll only see it go in my gas tank when I am somewhere that I just can't get high test as was the problem on the way to Sturgis. I did carry a couple bottles of octain boost for those occations though.

To each his own.

A paper funnel works well to get the oil into the primary also and there isn't any clean up. It will flex around the clutch basket and get the oil where it belongs.

The specs call for 38oz my bike gets 38oz.

If you are putting 38 oz. in after draining you are overfilling.The spec is for a completely dry primary something you can not achieve by just draining the fluid.Bet your bike has a heck of a lurch when you start in gear.:s

Okay,
Here we go for the great debate... if 32 is not enough and 38 is too much... how much is left in the case after you drain the old?

Not trying to start anything, but I am fixin to do some of my own maintenance when I return from a ride to OKC this weekend.

Go by a tried and true way,with the bike sitting level fill through the inspection cover to the base of the clutch basket

I have always taken the screw on top off of a gear lube bottle and used that. It fits all standard lube bottles. Works pretty slick.

Back