free website stats program Chain Tensioner Pic | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Chain Tensioner Pic

I would think the variation in the roughness between the individual chains has more to do with the difference in wear than the type of oil for a given mileage between bikes. I know an Indy shop that would polish the chains when they replaced them the first time and noticed considerable less where after that.

Ran my 02 flhtc to 60,000 before I changed mine! Probably should have done it a little sooner, but didn't know anything about those little buggers!

I would think the variation in the roughness between the individual chains has more to do with the difference in wear than the type of oil for a given mileage between bikes. I know an Indy shop that would polish the chains when they replaced them the first time and noticed considerable less where after that.

I agree that the chains have more to do with wear than type of oil used. Some chains are more rough than others. Thats why ive seen some grenaded at 20k and some last upwards to 70k. If have a tc where tne tensioners have wasted at 20-30 k i would not reuse the chains. Youre just going to be back doing it again in another 20-30k. I would definetly go with the conversion upgrade to the later plate,pump and tensioners and andrews or woods conversion cams. 10 times better setup than the spring loaded grenades.

i have a 2000 heritage. finally changed mine at 54000 miles. they still looked good, but changed anyway, just to be safe.

If they start to crack replace them my orignal lasted about 78000 miles after that had problems with cracking and coming apart. I changed over to gear drive.

My friends that are really hard on thorttle they seem to wear faster

My 2001 RK cam pads were done at 25K miles. Talked to a guy that had too do a total rebuild beacuese of failer issue. I changed over to a S&S 510 gear driven kit and it dropped right in and was the best thing I have done to my bike. Good luck

I agree that the chains have more to do with wear than type of oil used. Some chains are more rough than others. Thats why ive seen some grenaded at 20k and some last upwards to 70k. If have a tc where tne tensioners have wasted at 20-30 k i would not reuse the chains. Youre just going to be back doing it again in another 20-30k. I would definetly go with the conversion upgrade to the later plate,pump and tensioners and andrews or woods conversion cams. 10 times better setup than the spring loaded grenades.
Not sure that's true........I changed my tentioners on my 02 RG at 26k cuz they were worn out. I changed to Red Line Lube, the last time I checked the tentioners at 78k (another 52, 000 miles) before I sold the bike, the tentioners still looked new. The wear on the chain could have had something to do with with the extended service of the tentioners, like Bubbie said, but I would think that the lube also makes quite a difference too. Different oils have different cast off qualities, thermal breakdown qualities and lubricating qualities. I think the quality of the lubricants we use have a direct effect on any and all the bearing sufaces inside the motor.

I will be changing mine this weekend, have 52,000 miles on them. The rear looks bad but the front is mildly worn. I have been using synthetic for the past 40,000 miles. Anyone that can please send the PDF on the work I have to do. Being a new member wont let me get it. I will post pics of them when I get them out. I am looking forward to it. Already got my UPS delivery yesterday.

I have a 08 Roadglide with 35,000 miles there is some wear, but not too bad. How hard of a job is changing them for a diy person? Any special tools required?

Back