free website stats program Can't Find Chirping Cricket -Like Noise 09 RKC | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Can't Find Chirping Cricket -Like Noise 09 RKC

I assume that there is a kit including a new umbrella valve, element etc. I'll be replacing that stuff. I started it yesterday without the exhaust and I don't believe that the valve guides are bad. I saw no movement of the guides. I actually rode it around the yard VERY briefly and I could still hear the noise when torque was applied even above the exhaust (or lack of it). I'll be getting to the pistons soon. Thought I may take the rocker support assemblies to the shop and let the guy there inspect them for clearance etc since I don't have those instruments. Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions.

MY Idea was to apply OIL or a Lube to the valve at the exhaust and intake guide area and see IF that is the location of the noise you have. (while running) IF the guide is DRY and a little seizing there you would not have the chirp if lubed..

signed....BUBBIE

MY Idea was to apply OIL or a Lube to the valve at the exhaust and intake guide area and see IF that is the location of the noise you have. (while running) IF the guide is DRY and a little seizing there you would not have the chirp if lubed..

signed....BUBBIE

A good idea it is. I should have done that before I pulled the rockers, etc. I'm taking the parts as I remove them (Rockers, Heads, Cylinders, Pistons) to the local HD shop and the mechanic there is checking them out for me and offering advice. I'll keep y'all posted.

A good idea it is. I should have done that before I pulled the rockers, etc. I'm taking the parts as I remove them (Rockers, Heads, Cylinders, Pistons) to the local HD shop and the mechanic there is checking them out for me and offering advice. I'll keep y'all posted.

Found the problem. Took the top end completely down. Piston slap is the culprit. Galling on the pistons and cylinders. New pistons ordered. When they come in the cylinders will be honed 10K over. Should take care of it. I certainly hope so. Pics of piston included. I appreciate everyones help. I'll let y'all know when I've got her back together. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20131113_153310.jpg
    20131113_153310.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 62
Good on you and your mechanic, that is a new one on me with a chirping noise from a wrist pin:s

Question? Was this bike smoking and are the oil rings sticking?

Question? Was this bike smoking and are the oil rings sticking?

No and no....and there was no obvious problem with the wrist pins. Connecting rods have no up and down play to the crank so I still don't know absolutely what caused the problem. Trash past the breather maybe...? Short piston skirts on those big bore kits can be an issue as well according to the mechanic. I'm pretty sure that I caught it at the beginning stages, just a few weeks ago this started. Heck, it could've been a head gasket for all I know. I just hope it's gone when I get her back together!

Hope that is the noise....

I'm STILL thinking to go the a can or the ground with the Engine venting...

My rear oil ring was totally encrusted in carbon on My bike at 55,000 miles on the factory 96" build had no amount of oil use... Occasional adding a few onces between changes though... Normal.

The venting of the motor needs to go else where.

One day soon...:D

signed....BUBBIE

Good evening gents, and happy holidays! Got the RK back together tonight. To remind you all, we had piston slap. Had the jugs honed 10K over with new pistons and a new lifter kit. Fired her up and after a bit of lifter noise she quieted down and my nemesis noise appears to be gone. Sounds great but the check engine light is on....where should I start?

Back