free website stats program Can't Find Chirping Cricket -Like Noise 09 RKC | Harley Davidson Forums

Can't Find Chirping Cricket -Like Noise 09 RKC

danthern

Hello to all...hope you can help me figure out this maddening noise on my 09 Road King Classic. Has the Screamin Eagle 103 Upgrade, about 47K. I've had it since 16K, ridden from Alabama to British Columbia, West Coast, etc. Been a great bike. Just recently she started with a sound that is most like a chirp from a cricket. It seems to be impossible to pinpoint where it's coming from. First I thought the primary, perhaps from the front end, no, maybe the right side....you get the picture. The dealer couldn't help. Their best recommendation was the Compensator but he admitted that he wasn't sure. It does it cold or hot and only when it's under a load. The noise stops when I release the throttle and is back with the slightest twist of the wrist. I installed the new SE Compensator kit, replaced the rubber bushings in the exhaust brackets, have checked every fastener that I can think of. The drive belt is within specs...I did check the forums here before this post. I know that noises can be unique but I hope that with these symptoms someone can point me in the way I need to go next. Thanks in advance!

Have you checked the engine mounts? I have also heard the chirp noise from loose exhaust shields.

Lubricate your exhaust brackets at the rear of the muffler before you go to far. The rubber there was what caused mine.

Have you checked the engine mounts? I have also heard the chirp noise from loose exhaust shields.

Not the shields....they were rattling (I fixed them) but I haven't checked the engine mounts...I assume that would be near the base of the motor or are you talking about that crosspiece that runs across the top...?

Lubricate your exhaust brackets at the rear of the muffler before you go to far. The rubber there was what caused mine.

I'll do that....the bushings are new but I'll slather it down anyway...certainly can't hurt. Thanks for the tips...keep em coming! I'll report back.

Check both the mounts and if you haven't checked in side the fairing you might want to look at the brackets that hold it to the bars.

Check both the mounts and if you haven't checked in side the fairing you might want to look at the brackets that hold it to the bars.

Mounts are tight....It's a RK so no fairing but the hardware for the windshield is good and snug.

My RK was doing the same thing I found it was the belt. Cleaning the front drive sprocket stopped it.

Mine's a tad older but that cricket a almost made me start drinking. The mounts for the pipes under the bags caused one of my squeaks. The cover for the fork lock was another. My biggest cricket........ the saddlebag brackets. At the bottom, closest to the fender, look at the bar coming down where it meets the bar going under the bag. Both sides of mine had hairline cracks. Only chirped when we rode 2 up.

If possible, an car stethoscope for 5 bucks works wonders.

Good luck..

On my 09 FLHR, the windscreen (UK Talk):D was the noise... I removed the shield and lubed the rubber grommets with a little silicone spray... Holding on-to the shield while riding was the tell all....:s

check it out.

signed....BUBBIE

Back