free website stats program camshaft cover broken bolt | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

camshaft cover broken bolt

Having hit the bolt end hard enough to deform it may have helped loosen the lock on the threads and it may come out easier however some heat may also help

Brian

just curious, but did the bolt break while you were trying to remove it, or while tightening it??? and if you were able to get two nuts on the stud and tightened them very securely against each other, they shouldn't have spun off the stud together. unscrewing the bottom nut should lock against the top nut and remove the stud. try a lock washer between the two nuts and crank them very tight, if you haven't butchered the threads on the stud. I'm surprised blue loctite is holding that well.

The head broke while unscrewing.
On the remaining threads there are not threads enough for 2 nuts to grip on all their internal threads. Just 1 nut and half of the 2nd.

Bad news, the nut i red loctited + hammered unscrewed but the broken part remained on the motor.

I don't want to massacre more the bike so i think the best option is to reassemble the cover (with only 9 bolts instead of 10), the exhaust, ... and to drive the bike to the Harley Shop where i hope they will have more competence and knowledge than me.

There are times that it becomes a good idea to give in and seek professional help
Some of us are too stubborn to admit defeat and can make things worse then we have to work out another solution
I have recently started to take the car to a professional when I get stuck, But the bikes are being good

Brian

Fabrozor; I suggest that you take the bike to a small independent auto or machine shop (a boat motor shop would be ideal). These small shops have more mechanic people that have experience in "fixing" problems rather than replacing parts until it's better. Also the labor rate should be less.

I give the YF a real hard time cause I'm a Taurus, so I'd give it one more try if you're still open for it.

You got enough to grab with a good set of vice grips. Take a file and flatten two sides of that broken sucker. Set your vice grips on and tighten it down then take them off and turn the knob another half a turn and clamp it back on. Don't try to twist it off!! Try rocking it a little this way and then a little that way! See if you can get it to move at all! If you can, just keep working it back and forth! If not, you certainly gave it your all! If the vice grips start to loosen, stop rocking cause you'll ruin the flats that you made with the file. Tighten the grips again and/or file the flats some more! Good Luck! Steve

And don't feel so bad! We've all been there!

Back