free website stats program cams? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

cams?

Tramp,
Save & take some pic's of the hyd tensioner shoes.
I'm curious how these are standing up. I haven't read anything on this - no news is good news I guess.
Maybe a new thread here with pic's, mileage, cam plate used & oil used would be cool.

I would consider the Andrews 48's, they came recommended by good sources here :s

You are correct. There's lift, duration, overlap. My main concern other than better performance is longevity. I don't want to go too aggressive and have problems in 10,000 miles. I found out in a hurry that this ride is not as bullet proof as my shovel. There has definately been a learning curve for me with this bike. I've only ever ridden H.D. but let's face it the factory didn't seem too worried about quality parts here. We're all aware of the problems that came with the newer bikes. The info that I have recieved off this site has proven to be valuable and I am greatful to you folks that are out there to help. I'm all ears and very willing to learn. Thanks

I do have the stage 1 upgrade. we are going to the zipper dual piston tensioner. I'm also running cobra true duels with screaming eagle slip on mufflers. I also have a 73 shovel which I'm use doing all my own work. Having someone else work on my ride makes me uneasy. The shop I'm going through to do the work recommended the zipper 525 cams. I thought that might be a little extreme so I thought I'd ask around. Thanks for all the info I knew I could count on ya'll. Tramp

Good to know you are a DIY guy; neither of my bikes has ever seen the inside of a shop other than my garage.:D

As has been mentioned, the Andrews 48 is a solid cam and will work well with your current setup. It pulls off idle much like the SE255 but will not fade above 4000rpms like the 255. If you aren't looking for much after 4500rpms, the SE255 is a great torque/touring cam; a stump puller but it's pretty much all in at 4500rpms.

'07 was the first year that the mother ship outsourced the crank manufacture to an offshore company; China IIRC. That was the year that the runout spec for warranty purposes changed from .003" to .0012".:bigsmiley21: There was a higher incidence of tweaked cranks that model year as one would expect as the quality bugs were worked out. Not a pandemic but just for grins I would check crank runout at the pinion shaft while you have the cam chest open.

I suggested TTS Mastertune or the DJ Powervision as the best fuel management systems currently available but you might want to talk to a local tuner and see what he is most familiar with.:coffee

Good to know you are a DIY guy; neither of my bikes has ever seen the inside of a shop other than my garage.:D

As has been mentioned, the Andrews 48 is a solid cam and will work well with your current setup. It pulls off idle much like the SE255 but will not fade above 4000rpms like the 255. If you aren't looking for much after 4500rpms, the SE255 is a great torque/touring cam; a stump puller but it's pretty much all in at 4500rpms.

'07 was the first year that the mother ship outsourced the crank manufacture to an offshore company; China IIRC. That was the year that the runout spec for warranty purposes changed from .003" to .0012".:bigsmiley21: There was a higher incidence of tweaked cranks that model year as one would expect as the quality bugs were worked out. Not a pandemic but just for grins I would check crank runout at the pinion shaft while you have the cam chest open.

I suggested TTS Mastertune or the DJ Powervision as the best fuel management systems currently available but you might want to talk to a local tuner and see what he is most familiar with.:coffee

Thanks Dolt, I knew about the scissoring problems with the wheels and the tolerance change instead of a real fix. The more I learn the more tools I have to buy. I do believe that I'm going to go with the Andrews 48H. The lack of quality in the parts dept. had me a little concerned with valve spring issues and the bigger cams. Sounds like we're good there. I'm running the SE tuner, due to budget restraints we'll be sticking with that . Again, thanks for all the advice.

Thanks Dolt, I knew about the scissoring problems with the wheels and the tolerance change instead of a real fix. The more I learn the more tools I have to buy. I do believe that I'm going to go with the Andrews 48H. The lack of quality in the parts dept. had me a little concerned with valve spring issues and the bigger cams. Sounds like we're good there. I'm running the SE tuner, due to budget restraints we'll be sticking with that . Again, thanks for all the advice.

Stock beehives are OK; would only change to stiffer springs for a racing application to control valve action at high rpms. What tools? There are work arounds for almost any specialty tool.

SEPST is a good piece of hardware but any system is only as good as the guy using it. Good luck.:s

Hey All! A while ago I asked for some info on the best cams for my 2007 FLHTC. Stray Dog asked for some info and pics on the factory shoes. The bike had 50,900 miles on it using Syn3 for the first 10,000 miles, Amsoil MCV20-50 for the rest. One shoe has .040-.045 thousands grooves in it. The other only .01-.015. I went with the Andrews 48H cams with good results. I tried to post some pics but can't seem to figure that out. Thanks for your help and I hope this info serves as good advise.

Back