free website stats program cams | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

cams

consider the S&S 511 gear cam.for the 103 reason no shoes to wear out.

brownfoxx1,

I used to think the same way here. Thinking Gear was the way to go...
(still do IF you do crank-work, weld and plug with timken bearings install in the cases while apart.)

Then the PROBLEM.... HD Cranks that have too much Out of alignment, and ON bikes right off the show room floor. Not all but quite a few do OR the possibility of Them getting out of alignment IS a BIG problem. Needing to be with-in a couple of .000 to do a gear drive, THEN HD saying that the tolerances for the crank are OK at ,004/.006 :swoon

I RE-Thought my thinking and decided to SUGGEST with the new style Hydraulics as a Keeper on todays TC bikes.
The New style of tensioner also didn't show much wear against the chains for many miles... I Don't Doubt IF my 09 FLHR bike would not go a full 100,000 before needing to replace the New style tensioners.:D

If I'm going to do a Gear Drive cam set-up, I would want the "FULL Treatment" of Plug and Weld with timken case bearings installed for proper support of the crank:newsmile093:

THEN I would SUGGEST Gear Drives:newsmile011:

Good Stuff...

signed....BUBBIE

Screaming Eagle catalog states that the 254E cam will pull ahead of the 255 cam. Any experience in this?

My thoughts:
. . . . . . . . .

Well thanks to the suscribing bump of 87gtNOS I noticed this thread I had missed earlier. Bubbie that is one of the best summations I ever read on cams. I saved it for someday when I might get an upgrade cam.

For someone like me who's only real knowledge of cams is from my teenage yrs of throwing a high lift long duration cam in a small block chevy with solid lifters and thinking it was cool to have to sit at a traffic light with engine idle at no less than 1300 rpms, that read was a real enlightment.

It gave me much more insight into "the other" facets cam options other than having to blow it out on the back roads to clean out the carbon resulting from city driving with something like an Isky 550 Super Leggera. Course in a flat out high rpm drag it was quite impressive.

My thoughts:
So Bubble are you saying the 255 cam would be good inn a2009 96" Road Glide??? Thanks, Bob
The SE255 is a BIG enhancement for a stage two 96" bike and will do even greater in a 103..

I have SE255's in My 09 FLHR 96" and use SE slender taper adjustable P-rods.

The low end power is really felt.

The intake "Close" of the Stock HD cam is 30* and the SE255's is 25*.

This earlier "Closing of Intake Valves" makes More compression HELD into the motor.

The LATER closing of intake valves , say Like 40* make the NEED for More compression to make up for the LOST compression of the Later KEPT OPEN intake valve.

Cams ARE a Give and Take. The BIGGER cams as some WANT( with Much Later intake closing) Installed in a stock 96" OR 103" will do More Harm than Good IF Not done properly by Upping the compression to MATCH or REPLACE the Lost compression in cam durations...

I always Look at the intake CLOSE numbers of a cam to see IF it is a Low End torque style or If more compression is needed to make it so.(Give and Take)

One other cam that many builders Suggest in the stock 103 and adding manual compression relief valves with a Street Port on the heads is the 48H. It has a similarity to the SE255 but Just a little longer "out" power curve (working higher RPM than the 255's).

On a SG, I think I would go for the 48H as its intake close is a little latter than the Se 255 cam at 29*. Giving you a little more RPM before it Drops off.

On the 96" FLH's touring, SE255.IMO

Being you are going 103 OR already Are and the later 29* close Will help in "Not" going too High with the static compression.. Ideally 180 to 195 max. 200 and above at sea-level Might become a problem with Heat and premature Spark Knock in these STROKED TC motors. Causing kick-backs and hard starting,,,, Bad for the starter and stock Compensator.

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE
WAP.gif

Bob,

If you ride two up often, wanting more Low End power and plan to stay 96" for a while, and don't rev your motor above 4500 RPM most of the time, I would say the SE255 is a good choice for the 96" bike.

Simple to install, using the "Cut" the old p-rods out with bolt cutters POP they go (cover the tool head with a towel= saves on scratched chrome) and use SE Slender tapers adjustable.

signed....BUBBIE

Screaming Eagle catalog states that the 254E cam will pull ahead of the 255 cam. Any experience in this?

Again,,,,,Look at the INTAKE closing numbers of that cam.
SE 255's close at 25* stock cam closes at 30*.

That cam would require More Compression ADDED to the mix THEN I would believe that statement.

43* intake close on the 254E cams is a LOT, and without compression increases like bore and high compression pistons the motor WILL suffer in Loss of original power by a BUNCH...

signed....BUBBIE

Again,,,,,Look at the INTAKE closing numbers of that cam.
SE 255's close at 25* stock cam closes at 30*.

That cam would require More Compression ADDED to the mix THEN I would believe that statement.

43* intake close on the 254E cams is a LOT, and without compression increases like bore and high compression pistons the motor WILL suffer in Loss of original power by a BUNCH...

signed....BUBBIE

The 254 cam works like a dream,much better then the 255,but only after you advance the timing.I added an Andrews 4 degree advance wheel to mine and it is a stump puller.

The 254 cam works like a dream,much better then the 255,but only after you advance the timing.I added an Andrews 4 degree advance wheel to mine and it is a stump puller.

I'd AGREE with Steve BUT the need for the 4* gear installed is a MUST... Going 103 and this cam and using the 4* gear like Steve and Doing Wheel's may be in the future for me as well.:D

I put the 255's in because I kept the 96" and when I go 103, with head work, I am seriously Thinking 254E and the already bought +-4* gear for it...

The Old Cam comparison charts Don't allow that cam into the picture....
But I DO believe Steve here ON that cam. Never the HD camp.:newsmile055:

Thanks Steve, MORE food for thought when I do MY 103.:D

signed....BUBBIE

Back