free website stats program Cam tensioner upgrade | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam tensioner upgrade

Let us know the outcome with the prices.

Ordered the kit from Tri-County H-D this AM, everything I wanted came to about $430 including shipping. Seems real reasonable to me, the local stealership wanted a whole lot more.

IT's not that I don't want to use the SE plate, just want to know if there are any issues with them.
Seems the person who marketed the Herko kit is no longer taking any orders.
Thanks Glider for the info, the prices at Tri-County look pretty good.

Sorry if I am a bit too late on this thread. I looked at the SE conversion and went with Herko's Andrews system. It necessitates changing cams due to the way the cams mount in the Andrews system (different diameter openings in the plate. The advantage is that the rear cam chain is also replaced with the roller chain conversion. The SE conversion uses the original cams and rear cam chain, althought the rear tensioner is modified to incorporate the new style hydraulic tensioner. The other advantage of the Andrews system is that the cams can be self-mounted in the plate as they do not require pressing in by a shop. I have several thousand miles on this system and it works great. I am just not sure where to purchase it since Herko is no longer in the conversion parts business.

Ordered the kit from Tri-County H-D this AM, everything I wanted came to about $430 including shipping. Seems real reasonable to me, the local stealership wanted a whole lot more.

Did you order the spacers and cam service kit as well? If you plan on using adjustable push rods you wont need the full cam service kit as it includes rocker gaskets and an improved breather (metal instead of plastic). However, if you are taking the pushrods out the top like I did you might consider purchasing it. It has all the gaskets, O-rings, and bearings that you will need to get the job done. In my opinion it was easier to order the kit and have everything I needed then to forget something and have to run to the dealer in the middle of my project. The cam kit is very complete.

Did you order the spacers and cam service kit as well? If you plan on using adjustable push rods you wont need the full cam service kit as it includes rocker gaskets and an improved breather (metal instead of plastic). However, if you are taking the pushrods out the top like I did you might consider purchasing it. It has all the gaskets, O-rings, and bearings that you will need to get the job done. In my opinion it was easier to order the kit and have everything I needed then to forget something and have to run to the dealer in the middle of my project. The cam kit is very complete.

Yes, I also ordered the adjustable pushrods, forgot them the first time I called, had a senior moment. They were another $116. I already have the bearings, and o rings just need the gasket.
Thanks for asking though.

Yes, I also ordered the adjustable pushrods, forgot them the first time I called, had a senior moment. They were another $116. I already have the bearings, and o rings just need the gasket.
Thanks for asking though.

And a good torque wrench:s

I may as well ask my dumb question. I have a 2009 dyna low rider. does that mean I already have hydrolic timing chain tensioners on my motor?

I may as well ask my dumb question. I have a 2009 dyna low rider. does that mean I already have hydrolic timing chain tensioners on my motor?

That's not a dumb question at all. It's always better to ask than not know but, yes you already have the hydraulic tensioners. Only the tc88 motors had the spring loaded ones.
WAP.gif

Back