free website stats program Cam tensioner upgrade | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam tensioner upgrade

01 rk

I am planning on replacing the cam chain tensioners on my '06 flhtci, I want to upgrade to the hydraulic tensioners and a new oil pump. I do not want to change the cams!
Are there any other kits on the market besides the SE kit that will allow me to do this?
If there are others which one will give me the most for my money?

If I wind up using the SE kit, is there a concern with support plate?
Also, where can I get the best price for what ever I buy?
Any advise, suggestions and info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I am planning on replacing the cam chain tensioners on my '06 flhtci, I want to upgrade to the hydraulic tensioners and a new oil pump. I do not want to change the cams!
Are there any other kits on the market besides the SE kit that will allow me to do this?
If there are others which one will give me the most for my money?

If I wind up using the SE kit, is there a concern with support plate?
Also, where can I get the best price for what ever I buy?
Any advise, suggestions and info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Yes. Check these out:

Roller Chain Conversion white paper

Harley Davidson Community

TQ's Engine Build

Harley Davidson Community

Any particular reason you dont want to use the SE plate? I'm just curious here because I just installed the SE plate in my bike last week and haven't heard of any problems with it. So far it has worked well for me and installation was a breeze. I got my parts from Zanotti for a fairly good price. I did the project as cheaply as possible and opted to keep the OEM cams and took the pushrods out the top instead of buying adjustable push rods. With parts, gaskets, etc I think I paid right around $500. I did purchase a few tools as well but plan to sell those on ebay to reduce my cost.

I did purchase a few tools as well but plan to sell those on ebay to reduce my cost.

Be sure you give your pals here on HDTimeline first shot at those tools before listing them on Ebay or where ever!

Any particular reason you dont want to use the SE plate?

IT's not that I don't want to use the SE plate, just want to know if there are any issues with them.
Seems the person who marketed the Herko kit is no longer taking any orders.
Thanks Glider for the info, the prices at Tri-County look pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the SE kit put on my bike 18 months ago. I've ridden about 15,000 miles with the kit installed and have had no trouble at all.

Back