free website stats program Buying a bike from ebay? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Buying a bike from ebay?

Yeah, I found one that is only a few miles away from me. I might go look at it tomorrow.

what kind,miles,how was it taken care of,last time and who serviced it,has been a "local" bike all this time? Lot of questions to ask when you go look at it.

My husband got his electra glide on ebay. He was lucky enough to find one about 25 miles from our place in WV so he got to go up and look at it before hand. We've had no regrets, but I would beware. If you are new to bikes, you might want to stick with a dealer that you can turn to if you need something. We haven't had any problems from his 04 e.g. or my 05 deuce.

If it is close enough, could you see about having a local dealer look at it before hand like you can have a used car checked out?

good suggestions above... just remember two words - common sense...

think of ebay as the classifieds... do the same thing you would do if you were buying a car. new v used. dealer v local. each have their advantages and disadvantages. you have to weight them and decide...

with that said. i have a couple buddies who bought bikes off ebay. each went and inspected the bike personally. in fact, they usually go with more than one person so there are more eyes looking over the bike. they've been happy with the bikes they've purchased and usually got them for lower than the listing price...

I bought my bike off eBay or rather from an eBay seller.

I watched HDs for about 3-4 weeks and found about 5 dealers I would trust.

I researched the dealer I bought mine from and it was exactly as described.

I bought it last year for less than 10K. =) maverick

Good Luck with that then Ozone! Let us know how it goes. Don't forget the suggestions Storm gave you about buying from a dealer can work with a private seller as well. Don't just plunk down what they're asking for, because that's the price they set. Be skeptical, but not a jerk about it. Just remember, they want to sell that bike more then you NEED to buy it!

Too many people were interested in it to get it at a good price. Here is the bike.

eBay Motors: Harley-Davidson : Touring (item 270206216607 end time Jan-30-08 09:43:00 PST)

I went to the place and it looked great. I almost offered $18,000 but it ended up selling for $18,500 anyway.

The sales guy said the value was $20,000. I said that Kelly BB was $18,000. He said they go by the Black Book. I think he said he had $17,000 in it. He took it in on a trade for a 4 wheeler RV.

The link doesn't work anymore. The bike was a blue 2007 Ultra, 3000 miles. No scratches at all. Previous owner added highway pegs and grips along with Screaming Eagle pipes, chrome drink holder and windshield storage pouches.

man i think you are pussyfootin around here i dont understand why you would go through all of this when you can go grab a new 07. that has never had a soul jack with it miss a few maintance checks and changes. whats with the resistance to the dealers?
i dont work for hd

man i think you are pussyfootin around here i dont understand why you would go through all of this when you can go grab a new 07. that has never had a soul jack with it miss a few maintance checks and changes. whats with the resistance to the dealers?
i dont work for hd

I assume you mean a 08. Yeah, I'm leaning towards a new bike, but if I can get a really low mileage bike I doubt they missed any maintenance checks and I might be able to save a couple thousand. The bike I just looked at would have cost $22,000 new and with only 3000 miles, it is hardly broken in.

no i mean pick up a new 07 many shops still have them and just because a bike has 3000 miles on it does not mean it was taken care of and not ragged out or had the odometer changed not hard to do these days.

Last edited:
I've been to about 7 HD shops in Indiana and Ohio and none of them have any 07 ultra left over. The only 07 left over that I found was a Heritage that they customized.

Back