free website stats program bummed out | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

bummed out

You will be OK. Don't beat it, ride with respect it is not a rocket. You don't see guys in Caddy's beatin them.
kemo

I've owned Yamaha and Kawasaki and now own a 09 Electra Glide Standard. They were all cool but I have to admit this Hog is the best I've ever owned. If you read all the complaining on line and take it at face value you would be scared to death to buy anything. There is good info here but you have to compare it to your own experience. Remember there are millions of bikes out there running down the road with no problems.
Just my 2 cents

Hd has a great R+D department, some say they are overpriced. But look at what you are getting. i think they are more solid than other brands.

Also, remember, you can buy anything and have some type of problems. You only hear more of them when something is mass produced, like HD.

If you payed for a Cadillac and had problems, would you not buy another one :s Or even a Chevy or ford?

I think this needs to be read one more time, this says it all IMO

And if you answer yes, WHY? :34:

Because I like the Sound, Look and what they represent.

Your reading threads that were started because of a problem. People rarely are going to start a thread about "How Happy" they are or how "Trouble Free" their bike has been. The Ratio is what is important. Not just the number of threads that represent problems.

When you think about how many HD's are manufactured, sold and being ridden every day,, I am AMAZED at how FEW problems there really are. So many bikes get maintenance Only when they need it. Almost all of them are modified in 1 way or form. Plus, a percent of people that own them, you will NEVER please no matter what.

I have owned Honda, Kawasaki, Bultaco, Maico etc. I now own 2 Harleys, a '94FLSTC, 162,000mi and an '05FLTRI, 61,000mi. As with anything mechanical things do wear out, and with anything that is used you have to keep up with maintinence. You have purchased one of Harley's most popular models, and from the people on this forum and the people I ride with you should not have anymore problems with it than any other model or manufacturer. Would I buy another Harley? Absolutly!!

Well said Smitty.
I like the way you never pull any punches and just lay it out there.

He really does say what is exactly on his mind and he is Right, I would be curious to see what Bubbie has to say Where is Bubbie?:p

I have an ultra classic and my wife has a heritage. I like all motorcyles, but when the time comes I'll have another harley.

When a had a Kawasaki Nomad it was towed twice. Once for a wiring issue and once for a failed oil pump that cause about $3000.00 in damage. My Harley justs keeps getting better with age. When working at a Harley dealer the majority of trouble we saw was not the fault of the bike but the owner who tried to modify their bike and horribly failed or excessively abused bike or lack of prescribed maintenance. I too will only own a Harley from now on.

I owned a Honda 400 cmt years ago and never had any problems and my brothers owned Kaws and Hondas and never had issues or problems. I find that some of the issues discussed shouldnt be problems, wheel slap, wheel bearings failing at 15k. hard to believe. I am not upset about buying a Harley, I am surprised to see that many issues identified shouldnt be problems - not for a Harley, (in my mind anyway)

Scott, at this point I am on bike #41 I have owned. Only 3 of them have been HD(the last 3). I have owned a lot of good bikes and few that were pretty much junk. I have owned Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha (never a Suzuki though). I still own a Honda 80 mini bike and a Yamaha kids 4 wheeler. I also had a Honda 400, mine was a 1980 CB400 Hawk. The CV carbs on the bike were terrible, the bike had weak brakes, it sounded just sick when you rode it, but I still put almost 10,000 miles on it. Yes I did buy another Honda after that. That bike was so cold blooded with those CV carbs that you had to on/off choke it for 10 minutes to get it to run. I don't personally think that is so great. My new 2010 FLHTK has fuel injection and Brembo ABS brakes and I believe it is the best running (and stopping)bike of the 41 I have owned. Would I buy another another Harley? Probably not because I plan on keeping this one and never needing another bike, but if by chance I do need another bike the only brand I will buy is American made steel from my home state of Wisconsin(OK Pennsylvania too...). I could spend hours listing all of the problems I have had with my Japanese made bikes, but who cares. I love my HD.

Back