free website stats program Bummed out....dead battery...beautiful day | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bummed out....dead battery...beautiful day

When I went to take my bike out of the garage after being on a charger for a month and a half.....the battery was totally dead. I wanted to take it out for a spin......but the freight train that was my emotion was derailed, going to get a battery tomorrow and a new tender. Any suggestions?:(
CHECK WITH HARLEY DEALER FIRST TO SEE IF IT IS UNDER WARRANTY......
better they replace than you..
I have found that MOST dead batteries under a year or so OLD are usually caused by burning the juice out of them. Left unattended on a BIG CHARGER....

Some HOOK to a charger and leave them, figuring it will shut off when fully charged as supposed to...OR ON RARE occasion the TENDER fails and GOES INTO BIG AMP CHARGE like some one mentioned in a post above... That happened to me and TOASTED a fairly NEW battery..

The charger is NOT safe to use AS a battery tender... USING charger is JUST THAT, FOR CHARGING a LOW CHARGED BATTERY..... IT should be no more than 2 amps and WATCH and FEEL the battery OFTEN to see if it is getting full or OVER HEATING...2/4 hrs max. time for a charge.

A battery MUST BE CHARGED and IN GOOD CONDITION FOR THE TENDER TO "KEEP IT THERE".... note KEEP IT THERE.

I FIND when I have bot. a NEW battery,FROM HARLEY, I always ask IS IT FULLY CHARGED? YES is usually the reply.... I ALWAYS TAKE IT HOME and PUT IT ON A CHARGER just to check (Hoople's tools not around)..... IN TWO MINUTES or less (if fully charged) the amps charging DROP and it clicks on light to show FULL CHARGE...

If NOT fully charged I take the time to FULLY CHARGE IT and ONLY THEN does it go into the bike.

A NEW but LOW battery can PUT A STRAIN on the charging system of your bike, and NEEDLESSLY draw some of the life from you charging system...

just my way.

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for all of your help....
It was, after all, the tender had died. Checked it today and it was not working. Off to the dealership as it is covered under warranty.
Again, this is why I love this site!

Stinks that I wasted this weekend, though. Oh well, plenty of ridin' ahead!

Don't forget the inline fuse in the harness. My newer Deltran Battery Tender flashes yellow if battery is fully discharged, then glows solid yellow when hooked up properly accepting charge; it changes to solid green when fully charged battery is up to the nominal float charge voltage of 13.4 or so.

My other older Deltran Battery Tender I gave to my son in law with the Katana, works a bit different, if reversed or fully discharged battery, it glows yellow or flashes yellow (no light if open). If hooked up properly and charging flashes green and turns to solid green when fully charged. So do check the proper indications your charger is working.

Fired it up yesterday......got a new battery AND tender.
Thanx everyone for all your help.....
now just have to wait for rain to go away:D

I don't think the tender is made to charge a fully discharged battery, is it? It seems like I read that somewhere.

Back