free website stats program Broke down in Ohio. Starter trouble. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Broke down in Ohio. Starter trouble.

I've carried a tiny digital multimeter on my bike(s) for nearly 15 years. Mine is about the size of a business card. but thicker and came from Radio Shack. There are lots of other brands avail., about $20.
Very good idea Pete

I've carried a tiny digital multimeter on my bike(s) for nearly 15 years. Mine is about the size of a business card. but thicker and came from Radio Shack. There are lots of other brands avail., about $20.
Thanks Breeze, any other tools you can suggest?
Looks like the days of carrying a sae wrench and socket set, tire repair kit and a flashlight and being considered well prepared are gone.

Just a few that I carry are torx sockets, 3/8 ratchet and extensions, 3/8 socket set, screwdrivers, extra set of plugs, duct tape, plastic ties, flashlight, small hammer, allen wrenches, assorted wrenches spare qt of oil just to name a few.

I like the multimeter that Pete mentioned, gotta get 1.

I also carry a lot of tools and a spare set of control cables that will fit either of the two bikes when there is a minor issue on the road usually I do not have the right stuff to fix it :(
Credit card and a cell phone seem to be the most needed tools :)

Brian

The control cables I didn't think about. I just ordered the electrical diagnostic & parts manual, I have a service manual. I carry a flashlight, basic socket and wrench set, allen and torx head wrenches, wire ties, wire, electrical tape, oils, assorted light bulbs, tire repair kit & a small 12 volt air compressor. I'm going to get - the suggested multi meter, extra cables, allen and torx head socket sets. Anything else? Thank God for the wife's trike trunk. Our biggest issue is that our bikes are never home, we work out of south west Michigan and keep our bikes there from March thru November. We get one day a week to ride there and every 2 months we ride them home and back to work so it's a safe bet that we are not anywhere near home when something breaks.
I need to be a little bit carefull or I'll end up with so much stuff in the 10x15 storage unit I won't be able to haul it home in the fall. Thanks for all the suggestions. Richard.

Many years back I rode British twins the 750 triumph bonnie would go through clutch cables fairly often and it was common practice to keep a spare clutch cable taped on to the clutch cable for a quick roadside swap over
Old habits die hard

Brian

If you have tubless tires, carry a plugging kit to get you safely off the road to the nearest dealer JMO

Me, I carry a cell phone and credit card. For I doubt that if bike would quit on me out on the road I would be able to correct problem......

Have any of you riders of the newer touring TC's....ever taken a LOOK Just under the Gas tank?...
***Sometime: When tank is needed Off, Pop open that wide plastic tray-top lid and It IS Scary... I had to go there to trace a few wires... Man, Learning how to use my Electrical meter All over Again... Plus Needing to look at the Electrical page in my Big Book... book would be a nice addition...
My problem is NO room for all the tools TOO... No Mama with the Trike Trunk...

BUT besides my Cel.... I find that my PC computer is a MUST to have along when On the Road Traveling... Usually can get all the information needed using it road side off my SE tuner Plus Motel WIFI connected......
Using the Lap top hooked:
with my SEPST wires and tuner I usually can trouble shoot a problem and find it looking at the Tossed codes THAT May not be in the speedo but Will show on that Tuner Scanner Screen...
Easy to see IF a Problem has tossed a code and I can also Run the Program to look at How it is Not running good.... :rolleyes:
The PC fits in it's own soft carry case , fits into the T Bag on the Luggage rack n up against the big back rest... Clothes and all need other things fit right behind it, filling Bag...

Saddle Bags....Yep, kept full too, Xtra sun/clear glasses, Air-pump for the shocks, some small tools, etc etc etc...
Maps needed for the trip and then some... Insurance/bike registration and The Little hand book that came with the bike.
Food plus 3 quarts drinking Water... One Quart of 10w60 oil also...

Good way to take off the Gas Tank on my King, leaving the Main electrical wires hooked up...
***Remove the tank bolts front n back (4), Gas line Un coupled... gas cap gage wire Un plugged, over flow tube (behind tank left side) pull apart from soft drain tube, ... Lift carefully enough to clear that tray full of wires...
YES, reverse the tank With Out unhooking the main Electrical wires on that Main Harness....... Lifting up and Turn tank around, setting tank down on the rear **** Padded fender ...
Two 12" light Bungie cords hold tank from moving... Placed on tank front bracket holes through L n R side mount bolt holes that are now facing Back at the tail-light..., Bungie each side hooking to the bottom horizontal saddle bag tubes... going no place now... Fussy like I am, Cover tank with a soft big bath towel...

IF needed, you can turn ON the light switch for any test but no starting (gas line un-hooked)

Saddle bags off before you start so you can Bungie tank down using the bag mount base tubes.
****I use a folded thickTravel felt blanket and do padding Before I lift tank up and around.
padding starts Right at the end of the tank before removal... Padding from there, completely over the fender...
UnHooking the electric to move the Tank is Un-necessary my way... Lot easier too...

Long post 'cause I'm just Full of it Today... :rolleyes: (Information that is)
HD Don:
Here IS the Last word...;)

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited:
Back