free website stats program Breather bolt woes | Harley Davidson Forums

Breather bolt woes

Redman

I recently put a HD high flow air cleaner on my 09 Flhx...it has been great and really allows for the bike to stretch its legs with the TFI and a set of rush pipes. The bad news is that I noticed a sound coming from that area today and pulled over asap to check it out ...one of my breather bolts was loose and banging around behind the chrome cover I pulled out the tool kit and tried to put it back in but it spun freely. When I pulled it back out it had the threads from the area it should be attached to wrapped around it. The air cleaner is secured by other bolts beside the breathers so it is not moving however the area around the rear breather bolt is sending a small mist out the side of the area where the air cleaner attaches to the throttle body. I was thinking of putting a small amount of liquid metal in threads and twisting in and let set...I just feel something needs to be done. Thanks for the input.

You would be better off using an insert there instead of the liquid metal. Chances are the bolt wasn't tight to begin with or the threads were weak.

secure the insert using red loctite and it should stay there a long time

Brian

An insert looks like a coiled spring but is actually a set of threads made from steel
to use it you first need to drill the hole it is going into to a predetermined size then tap a thread into which the insert is screwed and it should return the hole back to its original size and thread
they will usually come in a kit for the size of thread you need with the relevant drill bit and tap

Brian

Rather than a Heli-Coil look for a Timesert, they are better and lock in place much more securely. They are a more recent development and they are better.

I am not sure the timesert is proper here, that flange at the top would interfere with the banjo fitting sealing against the head i would think

i am also wondering if I dont get to this for a week or so do I run the risk of doiing any damage to the bike...we have a newborn and time is hard to come by and have a short 600 mile ride planned for the end of this week...like I stated earlier the air cleaner is goiing no where. Thanks again Red.

Back