free website stats program Break in oil change | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Break in oil change

I've never heard of this in a Harley. Do you have any details that would prove Harley does this or are you just speaking in general? I would love to know before my next new bike, whenever that may be!

I have not heard this either and would like to Know More?

Used to be a factory trained tech for Ford Motor Company a few years back.

According to our engineers at the time, the new engines came with oil which contained extra additives from the factory to assist with break in and reduce friction while parts were wearing in.

We were told specifically not to change the oil early for that reason.

Would make sense to me that Harley and most other engine manufacturers would do the same but of course I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.... :s

Would make sense to me that Harley and most other engine manufacturers would do the same but of course I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.... :s

I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't have heard about this before now. Not doubting you but we've got lots of members with some sort of connection to the MOCO. Hopefully someone can chime in and put this issue to rest.

I think the break-in oil additives I was referring to previously had more to do with the extreme pressures involved with flat-tappet camshafts used in automotive engines back in the day.

That of course is a non-issue with Harley Davidson motors.

If anybody would know of oil additives used in modern Harley engines I expect it would be you gents so I believe I stand corrected. :D

GM used a special gear cutting oil for years in the rear ends but I have never heard of special break in motor oil

Yeah, I dout that anyone uses a special breakin oil, IMO the only thing is possibly using a fossil oil for breakin, but over the years that has even been discounted. The only advantage for early oil changes (100/200miles) is to get any foreign particals out that may have gotten in during assembly. To each their own and if it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling then go for it, it's a lot better to era on the side of changing you're oil to often than not enough.

Seems to me just a change in the oil filter would be more than adequate. Filter out particulates from a new motor and keep the oil clean. The lubricating qualities of the oil won't be degraded in such a short time frame and I wouldn't expect any chemical contaminants from a new motor. Any thoughts on this?

Seems to me just a change in the oil filter would be more than adequate. Filter out particulates from a new motor and keep the oil clean. The lubricating qualities of the oil won't be degraded in such a short time frame and I wouldn't expect any chemical contaminants from a new motor. Any thoughts on this?

Acids from fuel contamination would still be in the oil doing it this way. If price is a problem, use a good dino oil instead of synthetic oil.

GM used a special gear cutting oil for years in the rear ends but I have never heard of special break in motor oil

Well I know when I raced and built small block chevy engines we used break in lube when assembling and running them in before draining for regular oil? Funny enough small block chevy and harley engines have quite a few things in common. :D

Well I know when I raced and built small block chevy engines we used break in lube when assembling and running them in before draining for regular oil? Funny enough small block chevy and harley engines have quite a few things in common. :D

Yeah we were heavy on the assembly lube and priming the oil pumps, I made a special jig to spin them with a drill til it filled the oil filter:s

Back