free website stats program Brakes not right after tire change | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Brakes not right after tire change

I found that using a shoestring, as recommended in the brake cleaning link is OK but using a .30 cal "Bore Snake" for cleanin gun barrels and a small, relatively soft pipe brush works really well. Avoid the "wire brush" scrubber portion of the bore snake. I have the small pipe brush from my local beer brewing shop. Looks like a bottle brush but smaller. (You use it to clean out the beer tap.) The bristles are about 5/8" in diameter. I like it because you can bend it in a curve and gently scrub around the piston boot and it was easier to use than the shoe string because I could hold the caliper in my left, while scrubbing with the right.

Also be aware that after you really clean your calipers and brake pads with brake cleaner, the pads may not grip like they used to when you first go to use the brakes. Go slow. Give it a little bit of riding and braking before you assess if this fixes the problem.

I had a similar problem with a 02 road king the front brakes always seem
To have a soft pedal/lever. I repeatedly breed the brakes to no avail. After talking to a friend
He suggested that since the pistons on the caliper’s travel is so short air gets trapped
Take the caliper off the rotor furthest from the master cylinder and place stiff putty
Knife between the brake pads and pull the brake lever to push the pads together. Then gently push the pads back open do this several time on each caliper .You may need to
Remove a little fluid before starting .This worked wonders on my bike. Good Luck

My brakes were working fine before I had new tires put on front and back but now they fill like they have air in them. I bleed them all the way out and no air came out.
My bike is a 06 ultra classic with 15000 miles.
When i apply the front or back brakes now the peddle goes down further than befor and filles spongey. Have bleed them both 4or5 times each and still the same.
If i push down to hard on the back brake the tire sounds like its wanting to slide.
Brake pads are ok and in good shape.
Thanks for the help in advance.

DONT HESITATE TO DO THIS. I had the exact thing happen to mine (hum never an issue with any other of my bikes, maybe HD should put on solid rotors) anyway mine was warped about 1/8 of an inch maybe a bit more, put a wooden hammer handle through the opposite side, took a hand sledge, whack at about the same you would hammer a stake in the ground, check, repeated, checked, repeated, THATS IT, ALL ALIGNED AND SAVED A BUNCH OF MONEY, RODE BIKE AMD ALL BACK TO NORMAL.

LESSON, TAKE IT TO A BIKE SHOP AND PAY THE $30 to put tire on

Back