free website stats program Brakes not right after tire change | Harley Davidson Forums

Brakes not right after tire change

My brakes were working fine before I had new tires put on front and back but now they fill like they have air in them. I bleed them all the way out and no air came out.
My bike is a 06 ultra classic with 15000 miles.
When i apply the front or back brakes now the peddle goes down further than befor and filles spongey. Have bleed them both 4or5 times each and still the same.
If i push down to hard on the back brake the tire sounds like its wanting to slide.
Brake pads are ok and in good shape.
Thanks for the help in advance.

air in the caliper will cause problems & is hard to bleed. do you know anyone who is type 1 diabetic? they use a thin needle you could stick in the bleed port & try to get the air out. just a thought.seems like you did the normal bellding procedure.

my front brakes started acting as you describe but not because of a tire change. i thought about a new m/c. turns out all i needed to do was to clean the pistons at the calipers. seems they get dirty and stick. easy to do and it saved me a bunch of money. they have all these tricks listed in the forum here. this is THE place to be for solutions.

When bleeding brakes i apply pressure to the brake then open the bleeder close the bleeder and release the brake leaver
i have tried some of the kits for bleeding and find that air can get drawn in through the threads of the blleeder
however i have in the past had brake pipes that expanded when under pressure and felt like air was in the system and usually i replace brake pipes with braided stainless ones as they are less prone to expanding

Brian

Make sure your calipers are still floating in. If the calipers got shoved around when they dropped the wheels out, they could be hung up one way or the other and you are pushing one set of pucks out quite a ways and not getting a good grab on the rotor

I think Mattman is on the right track here, just wanted to add to check the pads, are they still in place and not shifted out when the wheel was removed.

I agree with glimmerman, clean the pistons. Just be careful when using brake cleaner on any surface other than the pistons. Good luck!

Have you talked to the shop which did the work? Is there a chance they might stand behind their work and fix this for free? I have tried to R&R the wheels without removing the calipers and find it too hard to "worry" the discs back into the calipers when installing the wheel. It is easier to install the wheel with the calipers out of the way and then remount the calipers. Doing it this way, I have never experienced a change in brake performance after a wheel R&R.

Back