free website stats program Brake issue Help | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake issue Help

While we are on the issue of brakes. Is there any way to adjust the amount of free play in the front brake lever? Can this be done with putting a little less fluid in the master for the front?

As Glider said, if the braking system is working well and bled properly, about the only other adjustment that can be made is different contour of the grips or levers IF the problem is fit only...and after all other items have been checked and alternatives have been exhausted.

Just remember that you should have a mimimun 3/8" or so distance between lever and grip with the hardest squeeze you can muster, so if you have small hands and want to improve reach distance, some aftermarket levers have cam or locking screw adjustment, or lightly heating the lever to contour slightly, but keep that clearance in mind for safety reasons.

No, not an issue of lever distance. I was just hoping my brake issue was something else. It is an issue of abs and and air in the system just like most have stated. I spoke with the local HD dealer and they told me they are two weeks out on any service. Just my luck, a couple of nice days and its get in line.

Well got it back from the dealer and after five hours of of trouble shooting this is what they told me. The plunger in the master was put in wrong. When I had the master chromed the dealer rebuilt it. Never gave it a thought. The other problem was it needed to be blead with their digitec computer. I don't know how the pin in the plunger could be put in backwards. The mechanic that worked on the bike was not in when I picked it up. Bottom line is they still charged me 2.5 hours of labor. They rebuilt the master and somehow it was my fault. This is why I like doing everything my self. At least I could blame myself. Anyway the bike is back and thanks for all of the input.

Back