free website stats program Brake issue Help | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake issue Help

PeteINny

I have a 2008 FLHTP with ABS. A few weeks ago I sent out the master to be chromed. I had Harley reassemble the master and I put everything back together. I bled the brakes and thought everything was ok. After letting the bike sit for a week the brake lever was very tight and the brakes were locked. I reblead the brakes again and took it for a ride and everything felt ok. A few days later the same thing. The brakes were locked. Could this be a bleed problem with some trapped air or something else? I have blead many brakes and have never seen anything like this. Any thoughts?

The dealer has to bleed the brakes using the digital tech to operate the various valves while doing the bleeding to do it correctly.

Glider,
Are the front and rear brake systems separate as far as the abs is concerned? I have no issues with the rear brakes. Sounds like I'll have to release the brakes again and trailer it to the dealer.

They both operate through the module from the input from the wheel sensors. Your problem sounds to be in just the front section of the ABS.

yep off to the dealer so it can put the abs pump though a bleed out cycle

The dealer has to bleed the brakes using the digital tech to operate the various valves while doing the bleeding to do it correctly.

About 1 year ago or so ('08 SG with ABS) my right front Brembo brake sprung a leak in one of the pistons. My indie co. put a new one on (line and all) with new fluid. (they had a new brake and line from a 1 off on a 21") They bled them not having a Digitech II and have not had any issues. Maybe got Lucky?Maybe there is something I should be noticing or looking for in the front brakes?
My rear ABS line from the master cylinder to the sensor sprung a leak (about 4 months ago) and the dealer replaced it using the Digitech II to bleed the brakes.

I just got back from the local Harley dealer. They told me it could also be the master. Not sure. I have to figure out a way to trailer it to them. I am going to try and bleed it one more time and see what happens.

Roger what Glider said, some cars are the same having to use a scanner to energize the pump and valves

Back