free website stats program BRAKE FLUID ISSUE....Please Read | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

BRAKE FLUID ISSUE....Please Read

I used to run an auto repair shop, which is different than a Harley dealrship, but the service department runs on the same principles. When you can not determine how much damage has been done by something, you NEVER commit to one thing to be a problem without testing AFTER it's complete. The store manager wouldn't put anything in writing because he couldn't determine the extent of the damage. While replacing the system is the safest solution, it leaves the question,"how much damage was ACTUALLY done" unanswered.
If they did not replace the parts that you paid for on the receipt, you can take effective legal action (you'll probably get a refund.) If they rebuilt the brake system and charged you for rebuilding the system, you have no legal leg to stand on...they probably saved you some money!! However, the fact that they refused to test drive the bike, unless they found some other safety issues which you declined to correct, is totally wrong.
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience and can tell you're very frustrated with that dealer. I'm just pointing out a couple of things to you so you don't make a fool of yourself and spend a bunch of money on a lawyer and lose!!!
UPDATE

After doing some research and with the help of some forum members, I came to the conclusion that when DOT4 and DOT5 brkae fluid is mixed, some people say flushing the system will be fine, some say a rebuild with a flush is necessary, and other suggest replacing the entire brake system.

I told the store manager this and said that all they were willing to do is flush the system. I was fine with that as long as he put it in writing that the proper remedy for such a problem would be too flush the system. He adamantly refused to put ANYTHING in writing. I said would trust his professional opinion, but I just wanted his remedy in writing. He continued to refuse to put anything in writing, and said that instead "he knew what I was up to" and would replace my rear brake system. He still refused to put anything in writing. I ended the conversation, frustrated that he would not stand by his word, but happy that the brake system would be replaced therefore eleminating any possible problems in the future.

About a week later they called and said my bike was finished and that I would have to pick it up (its about an hour drive). They refused to deliver my bike back even though they suggested to pick it up in the beginning, which they did. I agreed, and was actually happy to drive it home since it was a nice day and I hadnt had my bike in awhile.

When I got to the dealership, I quickly realized that they had NOT replaced the brake system. They rebuilt the caliper and master cylinder, and replaced the line. I was handed a reciept which stated that they did not test ride the bike, and that the bike had numerous safety issues. I asked the gentleman at the service counter if it was standard procedure to not test ride bikes, and give a bike back to a customer which has "numerouse safety issues." I informed him that I would be back to speak with the store manager AGAIN.

At this point I am going to send a letter to the appropriate authorities, the BBO, and Harley Corporate. I am filing a suit against the store manager in his individual capacity, since he is the one who began the negligence, and ensured I was not treated properly (the parts manager was very helpful, and the store manager is blaming him for promising to fix my bike), for the money it would cost to replace the rest of the system. I would have been happy if he would have told me what he was going to do, and put it in writing, not lie to me.

I am extremely angry with the general manager, after his honest employee tried to remedy the situation he lied and gave me a bike with "numerous safety issues."

Here is the address to the dealership. STAY AWAY, THEY ARE NOT RELIABLE!!!

Sheldon's Harley Davidson
914 Southbridge Street
Auburn, MA 01501

508-721-9876
The store managers name is Ed. He is the one who is lying and causing problems.

Shayne is the parts manager, he was very helpful and is being portrayed as the bad guy by Ed.

Please feel free to call the store and speak to Ed and vouch for Shayne. I really hope they don't try to discipline him for any of this. He is a genuinely honest individual. Or just call to state that you will not be using their service.

Thanks for your time in reading this, my number is 774-364-0659, please call me if you have any suggestions, or if you have ever had any similar situations. I will do all I can to ensure they dont do this to anyone else.

Thanks
Tim

I just had to get some brake fluid for my 1990 Sporty, as I'd drained out the whole system a few days ago to fit a braided stainless front line. The auto supply shop only had 5.1, not 5, but they said it would be okay. Now I'm worried with all this DOT incompatibilty talk.

I'm thinking you can use 3 or 4 or 5.1 in a DOT 5 system, but not the other way round.

Or should I go to the Harley dealer tomorrow and get the right stuff: DOT 5 ???

I just had to get some brake fluid for my 1990 Sporty, as I'd drained out the whole system a few days ago to fit a braided stainless front line. The auto supply shop only had 5.1, not 5, but they said it would be okay. Now I'm worried with all this DOT incompatibilty talk.

I'm thinking you can use 3 or 4 or 5.1 in a DOT 5 system, but not the other way round.

Or should I go to the Harley dealer tomorrow and get the right stuff: DOT 5 ???

GET THE RIGHT BRAKE FLUID.

5.1 cannot be mixed with 5. Only 3/4/5.1 can be mixed if you absolutely need to.

5 is silicone and 5.1 is glycol base.You will have problems when mixed requiring a complete rebuild.

Do a bit of reading before buying fluids.

DOT Brake Fluids - Harley Davidson Community

GET THE RIGHT BRAKE FLUID.

5.1 cannot be mixed with 5. Only 3/4/5.1 can be mixed if you absolutely need to.

5 is silicone and 5.1 is glycol base.You will have problems when mixed requiring a complete rebuild.

Do a bit of reading before buying fluids.

DOT Brake Fluids - Harley Davidson Community

I've read that link after i bought the fluid, but the guys in the auto shop said it was virtually the same as DOT5. There has been some uproar because DOT called it 5.1, not 4.1 or 6.

Looks like I'll be passing by the HD dealer on the morrow then. :newsmile038: I just hope I haven't damaged any seals.

I have a suspicion there was non DOT 5 fluid in there when I got the bike, as some I spilled on paint left a mark very quickly. DOT 5 shouldn't do that. :dknow

Do a search on the internet then about the mixing of the brake fluids and see for yourself. I wouldn't trust what you were told about mixing the fluids at all. That's bad info and will get very costly for you.

Gliders right about not trusting the Parts guys, most of them aren't to bright but think they know it all. I had a guy at shucks try and tell me I could mix dot 5 with dot 4 because the were out of dot 4. I don't like mixing things, not even oil so I went to another parts store got the dot 4 and told the parts gut there what I was told at the previous store. He said it was a good thing I didn't believe him. bottom line get what goes in there not what ever the place you go to has on the shelf. If they don't have what you need go somewhere else and get it.

Back