free website stats program BRAKE FLUID ISSUE....Please Read | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

BRAKE FLUID ISSUE....Please Read

Honestly I'm sorry about your situation.Harley used DOT 5 from 72 up to very recently depending on the model.The switch to DOT 4 is for the ABS bikes and was across the model line for consistency.DOT 5 doesn't work well with ABS as it aerates too easily when pumped that fast.Just ask anyone who's ridden an Nissin ABS equipped police bike.
However if you're going to perform work on the bike you must know what you're doing.I'm sorry if you find this offensive but it may have cost you dearly.Had the dealer done this I'm sure lawyers would be involved.Buy a service manual and read it before touching a tool.

WOW i hate to even admit this but i just got done with my bike and actually had to take the rear brake off!! in doing so i added fluid and it was DOT 3, it has acted fine other than being a pita to keep bleed out, its only been a few days with maybe a 100 miles on it, WHAT SHOULD I DO???? if cleaning the system is enough someone please inlighten me on the best way. man i feel stupid,

if it makes any differece i just checked the bottle i used and it say Prestone DOT 3 SYNTHETIC 284 wet boiling point 470 dry boiling point, for abs, disc and drum brake systems.

none the less i am going to take the whole rear brake system off, break it down and flush it, whats a good spray to shoot through the parts to keep from eating the seals??? sorry so many questions, i just don't want my rear tire to lock up. especially with the wife on. dayum i feel stupid

Steveo

Your bike being an 05 should call for dot 4 I believe, not 5 . Let us know here for sure. If it calls for dot 4 and you used dot 3, there's not a big problem as if it called for dot 5 . Just bleed the brakes out using new dot 4 to displace the dot 3 you used and you should be OK.
You shouldn't have to rebuild anything. The dot 3 and 4 are both glycol based fluids, it's just that the dot 4 is a better fluid.

If rebuilding is ever necessary,you can use the proper brake fluid to clean the parts.

hey glider, it takes dot 5 i just walked outside and double checked myself but it is dot 5, i am going to start breaking it down after i run to town and get the 5 and some flush, but my last question is-what are the chances of it locking up. its been operating perfectly. thanks a ton and i didn't mean to steal this thread just didn't see the need to start a new one.:newsmile011:

Chances are pretty good after it's mixed with the dot 4. The mixture causes little jell like balls and you know what will do to the brake system. The caliper pucks can't retract like they should and they overheat.

Wasn't sure when they changed to the dot 4. I l know in 03 they were still using the dot 5.

got it flushed out and sprayed out and dot 5 put back in, she is a ton firmer, just didn't realize until i changed it, the fluid was still like water so i think i am ok. thanks glider for the help- i will feel a ton better while the wife is riding now

Glad you go it hooked up. I would also bleed the system now and then a few times just to be sure as a precaution. Brake fluid isn't that expensive at $9 a bottle compared to a life.

I'm talking after some miles to do it again with a bleeding after things get used and bumped around a bit.

Back