free website stats program Bought my 09 street glide today!!!! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bought my 09 street glide today!!!!

Congrats you lucky dog I'll have to wait a few more years, but I love the 09 baggers.:42::newsmile026:

Congrats! You wont be sorry. I absoloutly LOVE mine!

I have one question for you guys.....does your 5th gear whine? Mine sure does. One thing about it......I never have to wonder weather I'm in 4th or 5th!

Coming up on the 1000 mile service and am switching to Amsoil products.
I hope the engine temp really does drop 10 degrees like they claim and I am using their heavy duty transmission lube which I am told greatly reduces noise and makes for smoother shifting.
We'll see......
Mark in Pa

I have a 09 SG and I always carry a piece of cheese with me....:lolrolling

I have about 800 miles on mine, Any body have the same problem?? Warranty issue??

First and fifth gear are straight cut gears. All others are helical cut. Straight is used because of their design, they will transmit higher amounts of force a little bit more efficiently than their hellical cousins, which are bevel cut. Using a straight cut gear in first is a no brainer but many people wonder why they use one in the fifth cog. I have not discussed this with one of the Harley engineers but I have pondered it somewhat. Given the likelyhood that you will spend a good deal of time in fifth gear while cruising at 50-65 mph, (before you are ready to shift into sixth gear) it makes sense to use a straight cut gear. Remember you are probably at the point in fifth gear where you are just coming out of maximum torque and entering the band at which max horsepower is being generated. The whine that some riders complain about is nothing to be alarmed about. If you are around high speed/high quality transmission systems for any length of time you will hear that whine and grow to appreciated it for what it is. Personally I rely upon the sound to confirm that I am in fifth gear. I am old enough to remember the high speed whine that my grandmothers Singer Sewing Machine made when Granny got on the cam and was sewing up a storm. Everyone knows how long those finely engineered machines lasted because there are still a good many still sewing away. I have learned to love the sound. Adding synthetic gear oil will quiet the spinning meshing/gears very slightly but more importantly the synthetic gear oil will aid greatly in reducing long term wear on the gears. Good luck to everyone and ride safely and often. Don't forget to wave.

Contgrats!

My wife surprised me yesterday by telling me she put down a deposit on a Vivid Black '09 SG for me for our anniversary and it will be delivered to the HD dealer next Friday! Can't wait!

I'm gonna do some immediate mods; wheels/tires, intake/exhaust and will post pics.

Enjoy and ride safe!

First and fifth gear are straight cut gears. All others are helical cut. Straight is used because of their design, they will transmit higher amounts of force a little bit more efficiently than their hellical cousins, which are bevel cut. Using a straight cut gear in first is a no brainer but many people wonder why they use one in the fifth cog. I have not discussed this with one of the Harley engineers but I have pondered it somewhat. Given the likelyhood that you will spend a good deal of time in fifth gear while cruising at 50-65 mph, (before you are ready to shift into sixth gear) it makes sense to use a straight cut gear. Remember you are probably at the point in fifth gear where you are just coming out of maximum torque and entering the band at which max horsepower is being generated. The whine that some riders complain about is nothing to be alarmed about. If you are around high speed/high quality transmission systems for any length of time you will hear that whine and grow to appreciated it for what it is. Personally I rely upon the sound to confirm that I am in fifth gear. I am old enough to remember the high speed whine that my grandmothers Singer Sewing Machine made when Granny got on the cam and was sewing up a storm. Everyone knows how long those finely engineered machines lasted because there are still a good many still sewing away. I have learned to love the sound. Adding synthetic gear oil will quiet the spinning meshing/gears very slightly but more importantly the synthetic gear oil will aid greatly in reducing long term wear on the gears. Good luck to everyone and ride safely and often. Don't forget to wave.

Thanks for that post. I learn something everyday! And now I won't have to wonder and worry when I get my new SG next week!

Contgrats!

My wife surprised me yesterday by telling me she put down a deposit on a Vivid Black '09 SG for me for our anniversary and it will be delivered to the HD dealer next Friday! Can't wait!

I'm gonna do some immediate mods; wheels/tires, intake/exhaust and will post pics.

Enjoy and ride safe!

congrats dude. and thats a good wife!!!

Thank You Sir, I was never to worried about the whine.:sd:

But now you have set my soul at ease..:21:

Congrats on your SG.
Got mine yesterday, was suppose to be ready today.
Went to the dealership to drop of the cashiers check and was told that the Rinhart slipons had come in early so they were on and I could take it home:D
left my car in the lot and didn't look back.

Congrats! You wont be sorry. I absoloutly LOVE mine!

I have one question for you guys.....does your 5th gear whine? Mine sure does. One thing about it......I never have to wonder weather I'm in 4th or 5th!

Coming up on the 1000 mile service and am switching to Amsoil products.
I hope the engine temp really does drop 10 degrees like they claim and I am using their heavy duty transmission lube which I am told greatly reduces noise and makes for smoother shifting.
We'll see......
Mark in Pa

My 07 Street Glide did whine some in 5th, at the 1000 mile service I asked them to check the primary chain tension real good, and I think they did tighten it to the minimum spec for deflection (1/4", IIRC). It really didn't whine as much after that, I think it may have gotten a little stretched out during break in because a lot of the mileage was 2 up and I'm 230 and my wife's not tiny either.
It doesn't whine AT ALL any more cause I traded it last Saturday on an 09 Street Glide. Muahahahahahaha! I just hope it runs as good as the 07.
BTW, really like the solo/passenger seat combo you put on your SG, which one is it?

Back