free website stats program Bottoming Out | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bottoming Out

I see NO mention of the air pressure you put in Your shocks?
I use 28/30 for two up and loaded with T-bag. Maybe 35# tops...
signed....BUBBIE

Really? that much pressure? I don't have a manual yet but anybody know what they recommend? I have an '09 RK and I put the 12" RG shocks on it because I like my feet flat on the ground. I know I lost an 1" of travel but it still feels like it bottoms out, not sure though if its that or just stiffer. My friend with an '02 RK Says he runs 5# 1up & 7# 2up. I am running 7# right now. 30# sounds like it would be really stiff. could it be the shock oil? I will try 28# today to see what it feels like.
Thanks.

I copied the manual chart and taped it inside my L. bag next to the schrader valve. 200 lb. rider 0 - 10 psi
250 " 5 - 15 "
2 up +150 10 -15 "
" + 200 20 -25 "
On a recent trip I had 25 psi, I'm 210, and carried about 60 lbs. of gear. It rode nice. Some prefer a softer overall ride, I prefer firmer.

New frame (and shocks?) on 09 and newer runs different, much higher rear suspension pressures than pre-09 bikes. My 07 is same as Breeze3at. Wife and I like softer suspension and run rear at 12-13 lbs.

New frame (and shocks?) on 09 and newer runs different, much higher rear suspension pressures than pre-09 bikes. My 07 is same as Breeze3at. Wife and I like softer suspension and run rear at 12-13 lbs.

OK. Thanks! I will play with it a little and see if it gets stiffer.

If you are running the 2012 shocks you can put in up to 50 PSI max. The 08 and earlier model shocks only could run 30 t0 35 PSI max.

Really? that much pressure? I don't have a manual yet but anybody know what they recommend? I have an '09 RK and I put the 12" RG shocks on it because I like my feet flat on the ground. I know I lost an 1" of travel but it still feels like it bottoms out, not sure though if its that or just stiffer. My friend with an '02 RK Says he runs 5# 1up & 7# 2up. I am running 7# right now. 30# sounds like it would be really stiff. could it be the shock oil? I will try 28# today to see what it feels like.
Thanks.

I pulled the stock shocks off my Street Glide and put the Electra Glide shocks on it because the lower ones were too stiff. My brother bought some lower style HD shocks for his RoadKing and they were hard as rocks as well. So maybe it's a product of the shock itself. I will be trying the Progressive 940's in the near future because I like the lower ride but do not want to be sitting on rocks all day! :s

I did this with my 99 Ultra. Comes in handy when I get to the steep driveways where I scrap my mufflers & I can adjust to the load that I carry. Air ride installed... - Harley Davidson Forums
I used the 49304 Gabriels, got them from someone that was going to do it but did not get around to it & decided to put the stock back on. I really like the ride so far. It is still in progress so that I can adjust it on the fly & hope to have it all done this weekend. Right now I just air them up with a air chuck. Once all together, I can lower it when I want & change it at any given time. A lot cheaper than the stock, if you don't have them.

Toby

Back