free website stats program Boo-boo | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Boo-boo

I bought a 2004 Ultra a few years back that had a dent in the side of the tank. I took the tank to a local auto-body shop and they fixed the dent, repainted the repaired side and hand-painted the pin-stripping. Looked perfect, and couldn't tell any difference between the repaired side and non-repaired side. Auto body shop charged me $250, plus I bought a replacement HD decal from HD for around $50...

Once Upon A Time:

I ordered a New Painted fender from HD (other person Backed into My 09 front fender and paid for new)

When the HD Tech put it on (waited 8 weeks to get HD Factory New Painted one)

A Chunk of paint cracked out by the chrome side fender brace when installing....:cry

Not wanting to send it back to HD and WAIT another ? Who Knows How Long.... The HD shop offered to have it repainted by one of their Vendors they use on a regular basis... RELUCTANTLY I said Yes... So it got sent out... The painter's father Died about the time the Fender arrived so That was a Bummer for him and me..:cry

Waited about 4 more weeks and got the front fender back... Good match of the paint... BUT a Drop Run was there.... Not noticed until I got it home...

It is still there today and Nobody else has ever said anything about it. I don't even think about it... Not very Visible or I would have sent it back to have him ? repaint ? sand?

Point is IF a Stock color, the paint can be Matched by just Numbers from HD...

signed....:crybaby BUBBIE

Once Upon A Time:

I ordered a New Painted fender from HD (other person Backed into My 09 front fender and paid for new)

When the HD Tech put it on (waited 8 weeks to get HD Factory New Painted one)

A Chunk of paint cracked out by the chrome side fender brace when installing....:cry

Not wanting to send it back to HD and WAIT another ? Who Knows How Long.... The HD shop offered to have it repainted by one of their Vendors they use on a regular basis... RELUCTANTLY I said Yes... So it got sent out... The painter's father Died about the time the Fender arrived so That was a Bummer for him and me..:cry

Waited about 4 more weeks and got the front fender back... Good match of the paint... BUT a Drop Run was there.... Not noticed until I got it home...

It is still there today and Nobody else has ever said anything about it. I don't even think about it... Not very Visible or I would have sent it back to have him ? repaint ? sand?

Point is IF a Stock color, the paint can be Matched by just Numbers from HD...

signed....:crybaby BUBBIE

Wow BUBBIE,

That's a long time to wait. I hope mine doesn't take that long. As I said, the paint is now obsolete according to HD, but the guy it's going to is supposed to be quite a guru, we shall see.

Still can't believe this happened.

Last week I put my scoot on the trailer into the wheel chock, stripped it down, removed saddle bags, seat, sissy bar, and gave it a good bath. Did a wet polish and went to move it to a shady area for a dry polish. The bike's trans must not have been fully engaged in gear and it came out of the chock far enough to let go and fall against the trailer rail..oops Tank has ~ 8" long deep crease dent. I have probably had the bike on the trailer 50 times, never happened before. Perhaps I moved it out of gear while polishing.

To make a short story longer, called my insurance company, no problem except I'm out $500 deductible..ouch! Ran the bike by MDHD, they will replace the tank and associated hardware to the tune of $2193.14, custom paint, and about 4-6 weeks before they have it in, I guess I ride ugly for awhile.
Moral. If you put your bike on the trailer, tie it down, I know I will in the future. I hope someone avoids the same problem by reading this very sad story.
my question is this? was there any drinking involved???:cry

Update: My new tank is supposed to arrive today or tomorrow so I'm dropping the bike off at MBHD to get 'er done. We shall see how long it takes.

We are heading to Maggie Valley Saturday for a week so no riding unless we rent:(

Update: My new tank is supposed to arrive today or tomorrow so I'm dropping the bike off at MBHD to get 'er done. We shall see how long it takes.

We are heading to Maggie Valley Saturday for a week so no riding unless we rent:(

Hopefully you'll have a nice shiny tank when you get back.:D

We are back from the mountains. Got a call MBHD, they got the primed tank and have sent both to Bruce Koch for paint, now just waiting on the finished product.:)

BTW I'll post pics of our trip, the colors of fall were very vibrant, best in years.

Back