free website stats program Blue ridge parkway | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Blue ridge parkway

If you "carry" when you ride, you may consider leaving your "piece" home for this trip. Parkway is federal property which means no firearms. If you have the unfortunate luck of getting stopped or have an accident, you could be charged by the police. Friend of a friend hit a deer up there and totaled his bike, put him and his wife in the hosp for several weeks. Police told him the only reason they didn't charge him (he had it unloaded and stored in a locked case in the saddle bags---which were also locked), was because he had already suffered enough. Big medical expenses and totaled bike (who says the po-po doesn't have a heart). Just something to think about. Tracy

If you "carry" when you ride, you may consider leaving your "piece" home for this trip. Parkway is federal property which means no firearms. If you have the unfortunate luck of getting stopped or have an accident, you could be charged by the police. Friend of a friend hit a deer up there and totaled his bike, put him and his wife in the hosp for several weeks. Police told him the only reason they didn't charge him (he had it unloaded and stored in a locked case in the saddle bags---which were also locked), was because he had already suffered enough. Big medical expenses and totaled bike (who says the po-po doesn't have a heart). Just something to think about. Tracy
Tracy, the police couldn't charge your friend if the gun was stored properly as it seems was the case. I may be wrong, but I think if you are traveling and come upon a state or area where you cannot legally carry, the piece would have to be unloaded and stored in a locked case. If the vehicle has a trunk or a locked compartment, it should be in one of those places also locked. Had the gun been loaded and in a saddle bag that wasn't locked, it would have been a different story. I may be wrong, but that was the case 3 years ago when I was traveling and had to go through states that I couldn't carry legally. :s

Tracy, the police couldn't charge your friend if the gun was stored properly as it seems was the case. I may be wrong, but I think if you are traveling and come upon a state or area where you cannot legally carry, the piece would have to be unloaded and stored in a locked case. If the vehicle has a trunk or a locked compartment, it should be in one of those places also locked. Had the gun been loaded and in a saddle bag that wasn't locked, it would have been a different story. I may be wrong, but that was the case 3 years ago when I was traveling and had to go through states that I couldn't carry legally. :s

You could be correct (could also be a MORE deciding factor as to why he wasn't charged), I'm just repeating what the first friend said about his friend. Just thought I'd bring this up for future reference when he goes. Tracy

No problem Tracy, I just studied up on what to do when I was traveling and that was the rule at the time. :s It may help out someone else later on.

Back