free website stats program Blue Rear Rotor | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Blue Rear Rotor

Did you happen to do Hurricane Mountain Road too? That was real "exciting". :)

This is from the top of Mt. Washington. My Ultra is in the middle of the pics (my jacket is hanging over the windshield):
IMG00100-20100819-1554.jpg

IMG00101-20100819-1554.jpg

TQ your right I most likey was in the wrong gear, for decent, but I did over use the brakes, down shifting into 2nd did help but I thought I might be over reving the engine so I used the brakes more and bounced in and out of 3rd

That heat will sink to the caliper pistons and fluid. It has to. If it turned BLUE and it sounded like metal to metal, the heat had to be horrific. I would take the whole thing apart and inspect it, but that's just me.

I tried to keep it slow, was in 3rd most of the time but a 10% grade and a fully loaded bike, you still gain speed, and those corners look sooo inviting. I will be changing the fluid, and pads, and a closer look at the caliper dust boots.

I am with Hoop, likely your rotors are toast or at least "annealed" meaning the normal heat tempered hardness has been compromised, making the rotors softer and more prone to warping...bluing or straw color says the damage is done. When going down a long long mountain road, find the gear using engine compression to slow the bike slower than you were doing, the rev limiter will protect your bike from overreving. :s

I am with Hoop, likely your rotors are toast or at least "annealed" meaning the normal heat tempered hardness has been compromised, making the rotors softer and more prone to warping...bluing or straw color says the damage is done. When going down a long long mountain road, find the gear using engine compression to slow the bike slower than you were doing, the rev limiter will protect your bike from overreving. :s

If the rotors got that hot they will surely have hot and hard spots scored deep in the metal and the fluid took a bad beating as well

Looking at the above picture, my rotor is about as blue as the lable on the Blue Moon beer, I'll be replaceing the rotor next week providing the dealer has 1, change out the fluids, heck I think I'll wash the bike while I'm at it.

Just curious on where that temp is measured and how. What type of gauge is used and where is the pickup (sensor) installed..Tks.

Hoop,

It's from the ECM data. I have a PC-V with AT and the LCD display. I display the RPM and MPH in analog, and in digital mode:
  • AFR (front and rear cylinders)
  • Engine temp
  • Throttle %
  • Battery voltage

It's from the ECM data. I have a PC-V with AT and the LCD display. I display the RPM and MPH in analog, and in digital mode:
  • AFR (front and rear cylinders)
  • Engine temp
  • Throttle %
  • Battery voltage

Wow, I did not know that feature existed for PC-V users. Interesting, that is some Great info to know. So you are pulling your temp reading from the front cylinder sensor. I was concerned because I thought maybe that number (365) was crankcase temp or oil temp. I have seen my front cylinder temp hit 314 without really trying, so now I understand where you were coming from.

365 is cooking but I don't know what you could have done about it. If you made it through that unscathed, (and it sounds like you did) you should be able to make it through anything.

Awesome pictures. Looked like you had a Great time.:)

Back