free website stats program Blue Rear Rotor | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Blue Rear Rotor

Hoop,

I was concerned, but like you said there was little I could do. I tried keeping rpms to around 2500 - not sure if it helped. I then tried around 2000 rpm, to throw more fuel at the cylinders. (The PC-V display comes in handy for this.) (I was probably in 2nd gear more than 1st - using first only when the rpms dropped just below 2000 in 2nd gear.)

Bike exhibited no issues and ascended fairly easily. (I have an AMS 96" BB with 26G cams.) Needless to say, I was thrilled with the engine temps on the descent.

It was a great time!! I would have taken more pics on the way up, but I did not want to start the ascent from a stand still part way up the mountain - given my engine temps.

DC, the reason your engine got hot is because it was working harder at the lower rpm than it would have been at a higher rpm. Sometimes throwing more fuel just makes the fire hotter. Different vehicle but same principle, we had a tractor with an EGT gauge for the turbo, redline @ 1000 deg. Going across the field and uphill you could tell when the gov. was adding more fuel; the EGT went up and the rpm stayed the same which was fine but when the rpm started to drop, then the temp really went up. Downshift and the rpm came up and temp down.
If you go up again try staying in the lower gear with the rpm higher and see what happens. Ever been out west? You need to go up Pikes Peak, 7400 climb in 19 miles.

DC, the reason your engine got hot is because it was working harder at the lower rpm than it would have been at a higher rpm. Sometimes throwing more fuel just makes the fire hotter. ...

If you go up again try staying in the lower gear with the rpm higher and see what happens. Ever been out west? You need to go up Pikes Peak, 7400 climb in 19 miles.

Thanks Frydaddy. Will do. Is there a practical range I should shoot for - say 3000-3500 rpm?

(I have not ridden out west yet.)

Depends on the load, 2up full load, 2500-3000. 1up empty, 2000-2500. If you twist and it goes you're probably good. If you twist and it thinks about it then go a lower gear.

Back