free website stats program Black Denim Paint Good or Bad ? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Black Denim Paint Good or Bad ?

dish washing detergent usually contains salt
Great for washing diced hose not good on my bike

Brian

dish washing detergent usually contains salt
Great for washing diced hose not good on my bike

Brian
Thanks, didn't know that but I live in the NE where they salt the roads so I doubt that extra little bit of salt will make much of an impact.

Quoted right from their own PDF on how to care for Black Denim..

"Like denim fabric, Black Denim paint will burnish with age and use, adding
character and personality to the finish of the motorcycle."

What a twist with words & ideas to make you more willing to accept an eventual paint issue. So Peeling paint is now a "personal character"? :D

Boy these Customer Service reps sure are Good!

Man, you can tell this was written by HD, it's actually pretty funny. "Like Denim fabric, Denim paint will burnish or mar with age and use,
thus adding character and personality to the finish of the motorcycle." Got to love the positive spin they're trying to put on flawed paint. It sounds like it will have the same effects of flat black. Once you drag your fingernail over it, that shine mark stays forever. I suspect the Matt finish of the denim will be a little hardier than flat black though.

I'm painting my Wheels, Tanks & Rear Fender with a similar finish this winter. But due to upkeep, I'm going with a 2-stage paint. That will be a simple black base coat covered with a Matt finish clear coat. It's easy to care for, won't mar, and holds up for years. Plus that HD denim Black is way over priced. You can do a Base & Clear Coat for about the same cost.

every one so far is on the right path. all denim paints are to be cleaned with mild dish soap and or windex with ammonia. here is the kicker hence the name denim paint, is designed to where with the elements and conditions of use like denim jeans. if u have good eyes u will see from bike to bike the changes of identical colors. have seen four bikes same year and paint as mine but the color was definately getting different characteristics. btw, definately no wax based polishes which are used for shining not for flat colors.

black denim paint touch-up

I'm bob from lubbock texas and signed up to see if anyone could give me some tips on how to use touch-up paint without the results looking like a bad touch-up job. I am 66 years old and own a denim black 2009 fatbob dyna. I scratched the tank recently (a very small spot) and need advice on how to go about fixing it. The scratch did not go past the primer but the edges are slightly raised. I plan to use a pen type touch-up and if necessary a hypodermic needle to insert the paint into the scratches without getting it all over the finish. What sort of compound and what grit should I use to rub it out after it dries? also are there any recommended techniques I should know and use?

thanks

bob

I use HD denim cleaner. looks good but the matte finish doesn't seem to protect very well.bird droppings took it right off, now have a bird droppings silloette on my saddlebag lid.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bikes a yr old now and its been washed twice with dawn/ hot water and a zillion times with an aerosol window cleaner i got from my local glass shop. Bike looks like the day i picked it up. Pretty easy to take care of. NO wax and NO pledge.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?maldsi

Back