free website stats program Black Denim Paint Good or Bad ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Black Denim Paint Good or Bad ?

Augito1979

I'm new here and been looking for post or threads about the Black Denim Paint. Im a mechanic, repo Agent, tow truck operator and dabble a little in body work and finishing such as detailing wet sanding and buffing paint.

My question is how do you maintain this paint. I wouldnt wanna throw some wax and make it shiny,,, but as in any paint if you dont put some type of protection on it then the paint will oxidize or fade. Is there a wax or Glaze that can be put on this paint to protect it,,, it will be stored inside but I wanna go to shows and ride as much as possible.

I went to a Harley Dealership, dont wanna mention no names and I was told you have to wash these with a mild soap or with windex. Soap and Windex are degreasers, and not sure what the factory puts on the finish of the Black Denim paint jobs once there doneand shipped. Im in between the Denim Black and the Brilliant Silver Pearl. Anyone who can help would be greatly appreciated,,, my heart is set on the Black Denim, but if I cant wax or put some kind of protection then I dont want it I'll get the Brilliant Silver Pearl. Please get back to me,,, Thank You all in advance !!!:newsmile061:

I've heard the windex + soft cloth idea from other owners & know you don't want to buff them to a shine. They say denim weathers well so my guess is to wash w/soap & water - then wipe dry. I'm sure some denim owners will chime in & give their cleaning tips.

Oh and one more thing good luck in keeping the paint on your fenders from bubbling and peeling. According to my local dealer this is a huge problem, that is not model specific, since the MOCO changed out the paint process and went with a more enviromently friendly water based paint process. I had a huge battle with them to take care of mine.

Don't know if I'd recommend Pledge - Don't think you're suppose to wax denim surface(s)??? Pledge is wax/polish in liquid (aerosol) form...

My dealer actually recommended a harley product called harley gloss. It actually goes on dry and i've been quite impressed with it so far on my denim black paintwork.

My wife had good luck with Black Denim on her Street Bob. She used liquid dishwashing detergent and/or windex to clean it. No polish, no Pledge (sorry guys), no wax... If you wax or polish it it will streak and discolor.

Back