free website stats program bill in norcal | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

bill in norcal

Welcome from Gulf Coast AL, I surprised it didn't pop with starting fluid, the spark may be weak.

thnx wisconcin . and I have no intelligence to insult , but as I said . I both saw and felt the power of elect. ,so the spark could be weak , but its there . the kill switch prbly turns it off . my plugs lookeddry when I pulled thm .so im leaning to a fuel problem . but where to look is not that easy .sure miss carbs.

thnx alabama . hope your not flooding!! swam in the miss. once . asked why no one else was on the beach . guess why!!

Last edited by a moderator:
thnx wisconcin . and I have no intelligence to insult , but as I said . I both saw and felt the power of elect. ,so the spark could be weak , but its there . the kill switch prbly turns it off . my plugs lookeddry when I pulled thm .so im leaning to a fuel problem . but where to look is not that easy .sure miss carbs.
Could be fuel but why I tend to doubt that is no reaction to starting fluid, that suggest to me it's something else.
I would eliminate the power of the spark as the problem and go from there. Bench testing like I suggested should tell you if your have a hot spark or not.

In your first post you stated you jump started the battery, have you checked all the fuses to make sure none have blown?

I looked at them . only 3or 4 didn't look blown . should be good or bad . not weak spark .right? moved all the relays as well . no change . ive been trying to start with a battery from a car ,on jumper cables . one small ground cable not attached . guess I have to bite the bullet and buy a new one .next attempt . after that im nor sure whats next . $200.oo visit to Harley shop i guess !! all started with broken clutch cable . might have disturbed something in the headlamp housing when I installed the new one . but I doubt it . drove around the house before the battery went , so not likely .

Welcome to HDT from sunny AZ.
2 things you need, fuel and spark. I'd start with bench testing the coil, you can find the how to in the self help section.

If you want to "bench" test a coil, remove wires, attach a hot 12 volt to the battery (batt, +, etc.) terminal. Then attach a wire to the ignition (ign) terminal and touch ground and remove. Should throw a spark from the high tension lead with each application of 12v and removal. The ground wire basically imitates the function of the ignition points/module. If the high tension lead terminal is gapped a reasonable amount from the engine, there should be a bright white spark. Weak or orange spark indicates (low voltage...or) bad coil output.

Try pulling the crank sensor and cleaning it.
They have been known to collect metal shavings and fail.

Not sure on a 97 but this may help.
# 6 is the crank sensor.
HD02FXD012.gif

The motor that is in a 1997 will be an Evolution not the Twin Cam as shown above with a crank position sensor.

For your EVO you will have a Nose Cone on the right side of the motor near the bottom that houses a rotor and cam position sensor. It is wired to a remote mounted ignition module and a VOES switch.

Are your plugs wet? If so then maybe the spark is being delivered at the wrong moment and you will need to look at the things in that nose cone on your EVO.

yes, thnx 97 flhri one of the last of the evos. installed a new batt. . ether will cranking with throttle opening/ closing .NOTHING . so im 99 % its elect . weak spark but still sparking .so im not sure what to check next .is the ign. module either good or bad .or can it give out a weak spark! any isea what would be most likely with a dead short in the battery .did run a few minutes on the jumpers . might not be related , but prbly is ??

and thnx james earl

Last edited by a moderator:
Back