free website stats program bill in norcal | Harley Davidson Forums

bill in norcal

buickbill

.just found this site .awesome .
and
where yall been . the reason i found you is cause my 97 flhri . was idling ,then dead! no pwr. at all .
battery quit
l guess a dead short inside.hooked
up jumpers without disconnecting the battery
sta
rted for a few minutes then died .disconnected the bad battery . now it cranks , but not even a backfire . tried some starting fluid , still not a pop . any ideas on where to start my search would be grt!! thnx buick bill

Attachments

• DSCF4731.JPG
    DSCF4731.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 5
Welcome to HDT from sunny AZ.
2 things you need, fuel and spark. I'd start with bench testing the coil, you can find the how to in the self help section.

If you want to "bench" test a coil, remove wires, attach a hot 12 volt to the battery (batt, +, etc.) terminal. Then attach a wire to the ignition (ign) terminal and touch ground and remove. Should throw a spark from the high tension lead with each application of 12v and removal. The ground wire basically imitates the function of the ignition points/module. If the high tension lead terminal is gapped a reasonable amount from the engine, there should be a bright white spark. Weak or orange spark indicates (low voltage...or) bad coil output.

Try pulling the crank sensor and cleaning it.
They have been known to collect metal shavings and fail.

Not sure on a 97 but this may help.
# 6 is the crank sensor.
HD02FXD012.gif

Last edited:
I have spark ,but not sure why the ether didn't make it atleast backfire or pop.if I remove fuel line it shoud leak fuel while the primeis on for a couple second ? or not at all? I think its fuel .but I hear it prime when I turn ign. on . no diag. on a 97 , right?

Not to insult your intelligence but is the on/off kill switch on? It’s happened to more than one of us.

Back