free website stats program Bike won't idle when it warms up | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike won't idle when it warms up

OK Guys, I do appreciate all who helped me on this thread. I did a test to see if I had an intake leak and nope didn't even bother the bike so I took it to the Stealership and they put it on the analyzer and it said "Swine Flu" no it did not it showed the ECM was bad so $350 something for the part and a hundred for the labor and off I went! Bike is running Great again so it was worth it! I learned a lot from this thread and have evjoyed all of you providing me with help!

Thanks again to all!

Cowboy
Happy all is good again! Thanks for letting us know the outcome.:)

Well it seems to be doing much of the same once it warms up except it doesn't die but it tries to. Will take it back to the dealer when I get better. Darn Headaches!

Update #396 (Or so it seems.)
Right after I got it home it started doing the same thing again. Called the Stealership and they had me bring it back in again. This time they said it was the Throttle Position Sensor and replaced it for free. The service rep said his "Technician" said the TPS went out due to the ECM going out. I was very leery of that but when I left it was running fine but was doing the same ole thing by the time I got home. I decided to take it to an Indy shop where I trust the wrench and knew he would take care of the problem (His shop is 2.5 hours the other way from me so it is harder to get to it) and I had him fix the leak in the transmission and rocker box gaskets. He found that the Battery cable was on backwards and the screw would back out and make a bad ground. When I picked it up it ran good but before I was 2 miles away it started acting up again. I had to get to my destination but took it back the next morning and he pondered the problem all night and so when I got there he put my bike on the dyno and hooked up some sensors and it showed the TPS was at 5% when it should have been at 0. I guess what it means that the computer was reading that at idle the throttle was at 5% and it would throttle down and then it was too low to idle. If I am wrong someone correct me. Because I had him put the Power Commander III on he was able to adjust the throttle from the power commander and it runs great. He said that he would not adjust the TPS unless the motor was cold and had set overnight at his shop. He said the TPS is hard to set cold and almost impossible to set hot. I have now put over 350 miles on it in the last two days and only once has it died at idle and that was at the 40 mile mark. My wrench said he would have to reset the TPS in order to make it 100 % reliable when I can get it back to him for an over nighter. If anyone finds anything wrong with the info I have been given please reply so I have more info and knowledge. Again thanks for all your help.

Cowboy

From what I could gather, it sounds like the TPS was 5% out before the PC installation??? It's measured in voltage and without the PC, I would like to know how he arrived at 5%

The throttle stop screw which is capped on your bike is the only way to adjust the TPS in the stock configuration and unless the cap on it was removed, it's difficult to understand how it could be out as it's non adjustable by the TPS unit itself.

The PC can take care of adjusting the TPS to zero.

From what I could gather, it sounds like the TPS was 5% out before the PC installation??? It's measured in voltage and without the PC, I would like to know how he arrived at 5%
He had the bike on the dyno and put on some sensors hooked to the dyno. It showed the throttle position for idle at 5 or 5%.
The throttle stop screw which is capped on your bike is the only way to adjust the TPS in the stock configuration and unless the cap on it was removed, it's difficult to understand how it could be out as it's non adjustable by the TPS unit itself.
When the stealership put the throttle sensor on I guess it was adjusted by them wrong, at least as I understand it. I also was wondering how it originally got out of adjustment to cause the problem in the 1st place. That is why I posted this and was asked if anybody could find anything wrong with what the wrench told me or the dealership.
The PC can take care of adjusting the TPS to zero.
Yes he adjusted the Throttle to 0 using the power commander but it has popped a few times and died that one time around 40 miles. Been over 300 miles since last time it died. So is my wrench wrong?

This is the part I was questioning. I understand he can zero the TPS with the PC

You made it should like the wrench said it was 5% off before installing the PC

Yes he as much inferred that. My take on His thoughts was that the lack of idling once it warmed up was happening before the PC was installed. Once the pc was installed and the idle changed to 0 instead of the 5% it was at when tested (After the pc was installed) it cleared up the idle problem and lessened the popping in the pipes, which only happens every now and then now. We did not unhook the PC and check the TPS without it as he was just trying to get me on the road and had other work scheduled that day. Kinda as a favor as I live so far away.

Cowboy

Back