free website stats program Bike won't idle when it warms up | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike won't idle when it warms up

If you have had problems with bad gas in the past (no fancy comments here please!!) and suspect that again, you may want to do as Glider suggests. While you have all that stuff out of the tank, it would be a good idea to replace the fuel filter and pressure regulator that are all bundled up with the pump. Also, pressure check the plastic tubing (blow in one end) to make sure you don't have any pinholes.

After completely emptying the tank, pour in some mineral spirits and "swish" it around then dump it. Do that a couple of times at least. Get your eye ball and a light in the tank to see how it looks. If there is nothing obvious, repeat the "swishing" process with alcohol.

Put everything back together and fill the tank with new fresh high octane gas. You might strain it through some old pantie hose feet (trust me, make sure they are OLD, or go buy some knee highs just for this) to make sure the gas is free of any floaties.

Hook everything back up and see how it goes. If you still have the same problems, let us know.

TQ

I'm scared!:nosad I have never done this kinda thing before. Let me look at my service manual and my parts manual and see how difficult it is. I am no master mechanic. Basics is all I have done. Any and all advise is welcome.:D

It's really not difficult, just time consuming and patients and it can be done with basic tools and the service manual.

Buckshot: Yes it is fuel injected.

Glider: Thanks for the support. I guess I will give it a try. Going to have to wait until I order the screws for the top of the tank. I guess they have a sealer on them to prevent leaking.

I think I will try to test for an intake leak. That sounds very plausible also. If it works I can keep the filter and change it out later.

Thanks all. I will keep you updated on how it goes!

Cowboy

When pulling the tank, you may want to get boating type gas siphon hose with priming bulb to empty out most of the fuel in the tank. Gas weighs approx 6.6lbs per gallon so a mostly empty tank is easier to handle AND do not lift the tank too high before disconnecting fuel line to prevent inlet fitting damage; (after you pull fuel pump fuse or relay and let engine run to depressurize the fuel lines dry.

OK as you can see I am new here but I have a problem that I haven't been able to figure out.

I have over 50,000 miles on my 2004 FXDI Super Glide. I have a problem when it warms up it doesn't want to idle. It also pops and backfires when I let off on the gas. It only does this when it warms up. So any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Cowboy

Sounds like classic leaking intake seals. I understand the bike is EFI, so you have another little widget in there called the IAC (Idle Air Controller)sometimes it gets sticky and has to be replaced. Intake seals are an easy fix, but it does get a little complicated after that. Are you blowing smoke? Have you had a compression test? Throwing codes? Hope it's something simple!

OK Guys, I do appreciate all who helped me on this thread. I did a test to see if I had an intake leak and nope didn't even bother the bike so I took it to the Stealership and they put it on the analyzer and it said "Swine Flu" no it did not it showed the ECM was bad so $350 something for the part and a hundred for the labor and off I went! Bike is running Great again so it was worth it! I learned a lot from this thread and have evjoyed all of you providing me with help!

Thanks again to all!

Cowboy

Back