free website stats program Bike tracks to the left. | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike tracks to the left.

How did you support the bike in an upright near vertical position while you checked the alignment.

Hoop, I used two floor jacks on each side under the forward pegs to keep the bike vertical. Below are the pics of the tube test. The rear tire was in line with the front. Thanks MD.

Attachments

• 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 200.jpg
    200.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 27
put an inclinometer on the side of the frame backbone and compare it to the reading on the front and rear brake disks.

This would help you see if the frame has any twist to it.

RWB, I truly don’t think the frame is bent, but I do think the tires are not parallel. I did go to Harbor Freight and got an inclinometer I bought the better one because it had magnets on it ($30) to help with the alignment. I attach an inclinometer (angle finder) to the front rotor and noted the reading. It doesn't have to be perfectly vertical, but the closer the better. Then attached the inclinometer to the rear rotor and see if it reads the same as the front rotor. It didn’t it was out by 0.70, I adjusted the top stabilizer link 1&1/2 turns so the rear rotor is parallel to the front. See pictures below.Afterwards took bike out for 40 mile road test and no tracking to the left at all…

Attachments

• 300.jpg
    300.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 400.jpg
    400.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 43
RWB, I truly don’t think the frame is bent, but I do think the tires are not parallel. I did go to Harbor Freight and got an inclinometer I bought the better one because it had magnets on it ($30) to help with the alignment. I attach an inclinometer (angle finder) to the front rotor and noted the reading. It doesn't have to be perfectly vertical, but the closer the better. Then attached the inclinometer to the rear rotor and see if it reads the same as the front rotor. It didn’t it was out by 0.70, I adjusted the top stabilizer link 1&1/2 turns so the rear rotor is parallel to the front. See pictures below.Afterwards took bike out for 40 mile road test and no tracking to the left at all
GOOD JOB.....
I didn't read this thread Just this part today,,,,

Looks like you did EXACTLY the thing that needed to be done...

Can't beat that!!!!! :60:

I needed to do the Exact thing to my 2000 FXDS long ago

signed....BUBBIE

RWB, I truly don’t think the frame is bent, but I do think the tires are not parallel. I did go to Harbor Freight and got an inclinometer I bought the better one because it had magnets on it ($30) to help with the alignment. I attach an inclinometer (angle finder) to the front rotor and noted the reading. .... .... Afterwards took bike out for 40 mile road test and no tracking to the left at all.

Well I'm a bit confused by the readings, but I am glad you bike seems to ride ok now. I have never used and inclinometer like yours but I am assuming it reads in degrees and decimals of a degree.
The inclinometer pics show 89.80 - 89.70 = 0.10 degrees difference.
0.1 deg. x 60 (minutes in 1 degree) = 6 minutes out.
This is not very much out at all, which is why your tire test looked ok.
Usually it would need to be at least 2 degrees (120 minutes) or more to show up.
Again I'm glad you bike rides ok now but I still feel like something is intermittent in the bike and needs further investigation. I hate to say that since I don't want to damper the fact that it rides ok now. But I am just concerned for your safety given the history of the bike. Does your front end feel snug? Do you have any significant play or looseness when you apply the front brake?

BTW The cheaper inclinometer also has a magnet (or they used to) and the needle reads directly in degrees. I notice now the new ones have 4 separate quadrants of 90 degrees so you don't have to worry about which direction you read it.

The inclinometer pics show 89.80 - 89.70 = 0.10 degrees difference.

I assumed those were the "after" readings? Maybe not.
Seems like either way, that is a critical adjustment to say the least.

I need to pick me up one of those tools for sure. Looks better than the 1 am using by a long shot.
$30 is a steal.

RWB, I truly don’t think the frame is bent, but I do think the tires are not parallel. I did go to Harbor Freight and got an inclinometer I bought the better one because it had magnets on it ($30) to help with the alignment. I attach an inclinometer (angle finder) to the front rotor and noted the reading. It doesn't have to be perfectly vertical, but the closer the better. Then attached the inclinometer to the rear rotor and see if it reads the same as the front rotor. It didn’t it was out by 0.70, I adjusted the top stabilizer link 1&1/2 turns so the rear rotor is parallel to the front. See pictures below.Afterwards took bike out for 40 mile road test and no tracking to the left at all…

Very well done, I was thinking that RWB was on the right track, and using a digital inclinometer from Harbor Freight was a master stroke worthy of putting in the Self Help section...:s

With so many variables regarding alignment and tire/wheel installation this part of the alignment check is one of those things we see done on our cages besides the parallel check, but for some reason never thought about doing it as part of an alignment check on the bike! :hii

I assumed those were the "after" readings? Maybe not. Seems like either way, that is a critical adjustment to say the least.

I need to pick me up one of those tools for sure. Looks better than the 1 am using by a long shot. $30 is a steal.

Oh ok, well even so that is still less than 1 degree off and even the H.D. manual says it is acceptable to be within 1 degree. It usually takes 2 or more degrees to cause the tire to tilt noticably. Course there is nothing wrong with being dead on.

You can get one like this at H.F. for $5. Works great, it is similar to mine. In fact I think I am going to buy this one since it has 4 quads of 90 degrees so it reads the same even if you turn it around. I use mine for other things also like the angle on my peg stirrups.
Dial Gauge Angle Finder

Glad to hear the bike is tracking better though. That always makes for a better day of riding.

Oh ok, well even so that is still less than 1 degree off and even the H.D. manual says it is acceptable to be within 1 degree.

I agree with you. I would not have thought that even 1 full degree would make the bike pull. For me it was certainly good to learn. I will keep an eye on that adjustment for sure.

Back