free website stats program Bike Lift | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike Lift

Is it just me, or does hanging on to your bike with one hand and positioning the lift with the other sound a bit unnerving? All I know is that if my 900 pound bike decides not to behave, there is no way I am going to be able to stop it.

I personally love my J&S where I can pick it right off the side stand, but that is just my opinion.

Is it just me, or does hanging on to your bike with one hand and positioning the lift with the other sound a bit unnerving? All I know is that if my 900 pound bike decides not to behave, there is no way I am going to be able to stop it.

Nope; not just you. Even with the jiffy down, I'm always a bit nervious.

My #1 rule in the garage "don't move a motorcycle in any way, while wearing flip flops". I've had too many close calls while wearing them, and the only time my Dyna has seen horizontal was because of them. :34:

My #1 rule in the garage "don't move a motorcycle in any way, while wearing flip flops". I've had too many close calls while wearing them, and the only time my Dyna has seen horizontal was because of them. :34:

Most definitely true!!! I almost dumped my SG just moving it back w/skids on - would've been really embarassing to have my wife & some come out & pick the bike off me. Now I don't even consider moving the bike w/o some type of boot or laced shoes.

I wear shoes to work and boots the most of the rest of the time but i wouldnt ever think about going into the bike shed without boots on but after 25 years as an infantry soldier boots is normal footwear

Brian

Here is what I use... Its great if you have the space in the shop.... If not, MAKE THE SPACE!

Attachments

• Windows Photo Gallery Wallpaper.jpg
    Windows Photo Gallery Wallpaper.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 36
I just bought a Direct Lift motorcycle table lift. (XLT DT)

For a good Pitbull or J&S lift the run 350-600 bucks (approx). I almost was going to get either of those as they looked to be very nice for my Ultra. But for a few hundred more I got something that will work on all my bikes.

It may cramp up space in my garage a bit but it will be worth it and will pay for itself after just a couple/few self-services.

$900 out the door but for a lift with no side extensions but still with the rear drop table they are $675. It would be about $300 more in shipping but they have a distributor in Waukesha, WI that is about 40-50 miles from me so I'll just go pick it up.

One of the first things I bought was a lift. Being frugal I bought the $85 HF special. All my friends store their bikes on lifts to keep the weight off the tires. So far this lift has worked fine. I never feel like I am going to loose the bike once I have it on center. I use two hands and as soon as the kick stand is up I use foot to slide the jack under the frame.
While still holding the bike I pump the lift a couple of times to steady the bike. I now let go and check to make sure I have captured the frame enough. After a few times, you will know how far under to slide the jack. I am trying to reduce the yearly number of stupid things I do, so if I thought there was a small chance of dropping my baby, I think I would try something different.

I purchased a J&S after consulting with folks here on the forum. We have been very pleased with it. My husband lifted my Heritage with it first (we were a little nervous) and then his Ultra. I lifted my bike all by myself the last time (no straps needed), cleaned the wheels, and let it down myself. Nice sturdy lift, nice folks at the company.

Back