free website stats program Bike keeps shutting down after warming up riding!!!!! | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike keeps shutting down after warming up riding!!!!!

You may have already tried this one, but it is the first thing I'd check. If it is running for a short period, then cutting out, may be a vapor lock. Check yer gas cap.

Hey there everyone. Well the Harley gods must of been with me today. Got the electrical problem fixed. It was a $12.00 relay in front of the back tire. I never thought to check there for a relay. Anyway I want to thank you all for the help. The things I replaced like the wiring harness and the regulator were worth it anyway now I have chrome switches and a chrome regulator so a little more shiny parts. I also even put on a sweet oil cooler which is also chrome and man it works good, I was out riding in 103 degrees today and it purred like a kittn and ran much cooler. Hope everyone is out enjoying the day. Ride safe.

Rev Flash
:yahoo:rider

Just for curiosity, what was the function of the relay? This will help others who may have your root cause/symptom...:wall

The other HD owner found his to be a mismatched ignition resistor and coil by the previous owner. Old style points setup properly working is essentially a 6V ignition system when running (proper dropping resistor w/condenser in circuit helps extend contact life) from 12V Primary Battery. Meanwhile 12V (resistor switch out during starting mode) improves starting by extra voltage available when high current draw starter motor drags the battery float voltage down to 5-7V but still enough to run 6V points ignition. :33:

Just for curiosity, what was the function of the relay? This will help others who may have your root cause/symptom...:wall

The other HD owner found his to be a mismatched ignition resistor and coil by the previous owner. Old style points setup properly working is essentially a 6V ignition system when running (proper dropping resistor w/condenser in circuit helps extend contact life) from 12V Primary Battery. Meanwhile 12V (resistor switch out during starting mode) improves starting by extra voltage available when high current draw starter motor drags the battery float voltage down to 5-7V but still enough to run 6V points ignition. :33:

Usually a relay is used to carry the load of the circuit so a smaller control lead can be used just to operate the relay.
In the case of RevFlash, he has a softail and those bikes have a panel in front of the rear wheel that houses many of the electronic parts and relays for the bike. Great thinking on the part of harley to put all the sensitive parts right in front of the rear wheel where the road spray and salt from winter time can get thrown into them.:s

The lower voltage to the points that you mention is used to promote longer life of the points. In years past there was a ballast resistor that did this which cut down the voltage to the points. Also coil polarity played a big part in the system as well. Hooked up in reverse, the engine would run but very poorly and break up when under load.

Usually a relay is used to carry the load of the circuit so a smaller control lead can be used just to operate the relay.
In the case of RevFlash, he has a softail and those bikes have a panel in front of the rear wheel that houses many of the electronic parts and relays for the bike. Great thinking on the part of harley to put all the sensitive parts right in front of the rear wheel where the road spray and salt from winter time can get thrown into them.:s

The lower voltage to the points that you mention is used to promote longer life of the points. In years past there was a ballast resistor that did this which cut down the voltage to the points. Also coil polarity played a big part in the system as well. Hooked up in reverse, the engine would run but very poorly and break up when under load.

Thanks Glider for the clarification...and yes, not a good idea to put sensitive electronics where road salt spray/muddy debris can splash all over it...that is why I have not put on the Audible Alarm Module option on my Sporty...the factory recommended location is under the engine between the frame tubes on a supplied mounting tray..."brilliant...NOT!" :bigsmiley29:

Back