free website stats program Bike keeps shutting down after warming up riding!!!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike keeps shutting down after warming up riding!!!!!

RevFlash

I`m lost on what to do next. My bike shuts off after driving maybe 10 miles then when cooled down can start back up again and a few more miles. Here is what happens I start out on a ride and a few miles down the road the whole electrical just dies then kicks back in. I have to let it cool down before going further. I thought I had a short so I put in a new harness and it is doing the same thing and I also replaced the regulator with still the same problem. I also replaced the battery. I`m lost on what to do next. It even seems the bike is running hotter then usual when shutting down. Has anyone else had this happen to them or maybe some kind of idea where to go next. By the way it is a 2000 Fatboy doing this. I`m at my whitts end any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rev Flash

I would heck the battery terminals first to make sure they are tight, after that I would replace the main breaker. Back in that era, there was some problems with the breakers kicking out prematurely.

Fire the bike up and let it idle a few minutes.Check the main breaker terminals for heat.If they're hot,nad I mean hot replace the terminals.They had some issues with terminal ends becoming corroded and creating high resistance.Real pain to chase down.Oh and don't just crimp them.Solder and heat shrink for a permanent repair.

I've been battling the same problem all summer. I've replaced the coil, plugs and plugwires, the base, head and rocker gasket (I thought that one cylinder was sucking air and leaning out), and am now replacing the ignition. I've tightened the intake and replaced the gaskets. If it's not the ignition I'll be replacing the relays and checking (even more) for bad wires. I'm convinced that it's an electrical problem.

You can follow my efforts on the string titled "could this be a coil problem". If the problem is still there after the new ignition, I'll be trying some of the suggestions on this string.

hyfax why are you just throwing money at the problem?Find the problem and fix it.Guessing will cost you a fortune and a lot of riding time.

hyfax why are you just throwing money at the problem?Find the problem and fix it.Guessing will cost you a fortune and a lot of riding time.

I'm certainly no expert and not a mechanic of any kind BUT...I was thinking the exact same thing!

Trust me, If I knew how to do that it would be fixed. With each of the repairs I've made, I believed that it would solve my problem. The rocker and head gaskets needed to be replaced anyway, so I'm not worried about that, but I wasted money on the coil and plug wires. The ignition suggestion came from a Harley mechanic.

You're right about the ride time and waste of money. I figure I've wasted about 6 weeks of summer.

Thank you all. I will try Gliders suggestion next. I was wondering about the breaker and the coil. I will replace the breaker tomorrow if that don`t do it i will try the coil next. Then if still down it`s going to the dealer. The wiring I replaced I was going to do anyway since I should of done it better when changing the bars anyway. I will keep you all posted as I do that in case anyone else gets the same thing. Its so hot here its no telling when it comes to these things here in Az. Been riding in 115 degree weather here so I thought I might of melted something....lol Again thanks for the help you all are throwing out there. Ride safe.

Rev Flash

I'm 100% with Fisher. Both you guys need to buy a manual and learn to follow basic troubleshooting procedures. I can't believe what I'm reading here.
You cannot fix a problem by throwing money at it, and basicly that's what you have been doing.
With the way the manual lays out troubleshooting, and the help available online, there is no reason for the expense and agrivation you are putting yourselves thru.
...Just my opinion, and trying to help.

I don't mean to insult anyone,at least this time.:D You must diagnose the problem and then repair it.I've been doing this for a long time and still grab the manual for the bike I'm working on.Put it this way I've been to Texas but would get lost quickly without a map.The manual is money well spent if you'll be working on your own stuff.

Back