free website stats program Bike broke - tranny! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike broke - tranny!

Man, what's going on here? I didn't think a moderator's bike was allowed to have any problems like the rest of us common folk!

Seriously, I hope it's nothing as bad as you're thinking and even if it is, I hope you're back on the road soon.

If the moderators bikes didnt break they wouldnt have any experience at fixing them to pass on to other forum members

Brian

On the way to the Office for a meeting late this morning, the tranny broke! Making way lotta grinding/screeching sounds from the middle low-down section of the bike, and tranny gear lube (yes it is that red stuff!) pouring out between the left side of the tranny and the inner primary. If I wasn't a mod here and concerned with following the rules, I would be typing some creative phrases (well not really, since that would be disrespecting all of you folks)!! But you KNOW I am thinkin' them pretty loudly.

Anyway. Had my meeting and called the bike rescue guy to come and drag it down to Republic HD. That is where I bought the tranny. We'll see if there is any sort of warranty on the thing depending on what they find. Doubt it though.

Oh well. Supposed to rain tomorrow anyway! Time to start working on the little bike. If she was running, there would be NO issue! I guess I need a third bike, huh, Richard.

TQ

TQ. sorry to here the news... Man-o-Man, now ya got me think'in 'bout what I should have as a backup for my Sporty daily driver, as my Kat is now residing in AZ with my son-in-law (haven't had a real "spirited ride in almost 8 months!:small3d029: Wish opportunities came my way like they do for Richard...:newsmile011: Course, it would still be hard to explain to the missus..."--where did that come from..."!! (especially with tax time just around the corner).:swoon

Good luck T.Q. hope your back very soon. Now is the time to be going down the road, keep it between the ditches and ride safe summer:yes

What make tranny HD or Baker? Must have been a bearing, not good. Good luck TQ hope your in the wind soon.

The tranny is a SE 6-spd that I bought and installed in March '08 (3/26 install). It was the whole assembled tranny, not a Builder's Kit. I have ridden the bike 11,900 miles since I installed it. I bought it from the same Dealership I took the bike to yesterday.

I think the main bearing concern may be on track. The sound was a screeching, whirring sound as the clutch was released. Tranny fluid poured out of the bike when ever I parked it, and by the time I got back to it with the hauler (a couple of hours) virtually ALL the tranny gear lube had leaked out on the cardboard box I had put under it.

We'll see how the Dealership and HD handle this. I am a pretty conservative rider on this bike, and I know the tranny was installed correctly. It is a pretty simple job.

TQ

There should be no warranty issues, they should just get a complete new tranny overnighted and bolt it in for you,
The Screamin’ Eagle 6 Speed Transmission has been tested and validated using the
same rigorous procedures that Original Equipment transmissions are subjected to, and
is backed by a 12 or 24 month (depending on model year), unlimited mileage warranty
when installed at the time of a new bike purchase.
Not to worry, we are all thinking the creative phrases for you, let us know what they find.

HACK HACK,.,. COUGH,,,,,cough COUGH...... REV-TECH 6 SPEED gear set FROM MY FXDS MIGHT BE A GOOD REPLACEMENT...

THIS above is meant for Chopper only,,, NOT you TQ1

Sorry for your LOSS TQ1
signed....BUBBIE

OK, Gents. The gory details.

Republic HD tore off the left side (primary) to expose the left side of the tranny. Horror show! The inside "teeth" in the drive pulley that mate with the "teeth" on the mainshaft where completely stripped out. The threads in the meganut that secures the drive pulley to the mainshaft where completely stripped, as were the mating threads on the mainshaft. But the locking screws were still holding the mega nut to the pulley. The mechanic said it looked like only a few threads had been engaged since only about three or four rounds were stripped on the mainshaft.

When the pulley was wallowing around loose, it tore up the back of the inner primary around the lip seal area. So, the big stuff I need to replace are at least:
  • inner primary
  • mainshaft/5th gear
  • drive pulley
  • plus the bits-and-pieces
Parts: $ 817
Labor: $ 712.50

Total w/tax: $1,590

That is the guesstimate until we open up the tranny and see if everything is OK in there.

So how did that all happen?

Next step is to contact HD Customer Service and see if they will do anything about this. The Service Manager at Republic is NOT very hopeful. We'll see. Will call them tomorrow.

TQ

Back