free website stats program Best clutch practice | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Best clutch practice

The few times I have had a brain stall and dumped the clutch thinking I was in neutral all my bike did was stall out. :s

Well, the motorcycle safety council never had a clutch cable decide to let go while waiting at a light.
I have had that experience up close and personal and believe it when I tell you, it will give you a rush you will never frorget.
Thank ya kindly, but I will put it in neutral and watch my mirrors.

I've gotten into the habit of leaving it in gear if someone can come up behind me so I can watch and get out of the way if they have a hard time stopping. If there is a car behind me and I know it will be a few, I shift to neutral and rest the hands and arms. As it has been stated before, the MSF class will teach you to always leave it in gear.

Sounds like most of us do the same thing. I keep it in gear and typically keep my foot on the brake, unless it's a long wait like a railroad crossing (lots of those in South Texas.

Smitty, I think toad does the same thing I do. I leave it in gear until my rear is covered, like a car has stopped safely behind me. Then I may shift into neutral.

Yep, that's what I do, if no car is behind me I am constantly checking my rear view. Never had any close calls but their is always a first time for something like that. I'm with Smitty, it will probably be someone talking on the phone.

I just hold the clutch. The first time you hear screeching tires behind you (has happened to me) your gonna want that bike in gear. parts are replaceable you aren't. JMO

I have noticed a number of riders shift their bike into neutral while sitting at a stop light. I think this is to keep their clutch hand from getting tired.
Is this a good practice?
Does one way put more stress on your clutch?
Thanks for your response.

Shifting into neutral relieves the stress on the cable, clutch assembly, bearing and other parts as compared to staying in gear while stopped. Parts will last longer if you switch into neutral when stopped.

Agree with Glider, but only if it is a long light and ONLY after I am sure the vehicle behind me is stopped. My only vehicle accident was in broad daylight at a stop sign in 1986, when I got rear ended, and pushed 3/4 of the way through a crosswalk...

As Toad451 said MSF recommends, leave bike in gear until you are sure vehicle behind you is stopped, so you have at least a chance to make an evasive maneuver.

Here in SC it is safer to keep it in first at a light. Most people here are so impatient that they will push you out of the way, and running red lights is a very common practice. Been all over the world and never seen people that drive as badly as they do here.

Having been rear-ended, I'm a big fan of leaving it in gear and watching the mirrors. (With emphasis on watching the mirrors too, which was my mistake when I got hit.) I don't worry about the clutch cable snapping, etc. since I'm vigilant about maintenance.

Here in SC it is safer to keep it in first at a light. Most people here are so impatient that they will push you out of the way, and running red lights is a very common practice. Been all over the world and never seen people that drive as badly as they do here.

Ever been to Ontario?I think southern Ontario drivers could challenge for worst drivers in North America:52:

Back