free website stats program Best clutch practice | Harley Davidson Forums

Best clutch practice

06SuperG

I have noticed a number of riders shift their bike into neutral while sitting at a stop light. I think this is to keep their clutch hand from getting tired.
Is this a good practice?
Does one way put more stress on your clutch?
Thanks for your response.

Shifting into neutral relieves the stress on the cable, clutch assembly, bearing and other parts as compared to staying in gear while stopped. Parts will last longer if you switch into neutral when stopped.

I shift into neutral if I know I'm going to be sitting at the light for awhile. Otherwise I consider it an opportunity to give my left hand some isometric exercise and burn 2 or 3 calories!

Thanks for your replies.
I didn't think of all the things attached to the clutch lever.
I will start shifting to neutral at stop lights.
Thanks again.

Be careful though, since you should be ready to go. As the Doc said, do it typically when you know you are going to be there for a little while, else you will drive yourself nuts and could cause yourself some trouble if you can't get out of the way quick enough. Make sure the person behind you is stopped, because there is a good chance they may not see you and you will have to move quickly to allow them time to stop from ramming your back tire/fender.

Be careful though, since you should be ready to go. As the Doc said, do it typically when you know you are going to be there for a little while, else you will drive yourself nuts and could cause yourself some trouble if you can't get out of the way quick enough. Make sure the person behind you is stopped, because there is a good chance they may not see you and you will have to move quickly to allow them time to stop from ramming your back tire/fender.

I agree with bwalsh22 on this . There have been a few times I had to make a fast getaway at a stoplight beacause the vehicle behind me did not see me or driver was yaking on a cell phone.

I rather suffer from a busted clutch cable than a busted up bike.

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation advocates staying in first gear so you can get out of the way quickly.

Well, the motorcycle safety council never had a clutch cable decide to let go while waiting at a light.
I have had that experience up close and personal and believe it when I tell you, it will give you a rush you will never frorget.
Thank ya kindly, but I will put it in neutral and watch my mirrors.

Well, the motorcycle safety council never had a clutch cable decide to let go while waiting at a light.
I have had that experience up close and personal and believe it when I tell you, it will give you a rush you will never frorget.
Thank ya kindly, but I will put it in neutral and watch my mirrors.

If it's in gear, I'm also holding the front brake firmly. If it's a long sit, I shift into neutral and then give both hands a rest.

Back