free website stats program best choice for 5 speed gear ratio change | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

best choice for 5 speed gear ratio change

some interesting info there :) ive been having the same thoughts about mine i also would like to drop the revs a bit mind you im still very new to Harley and i could be applying to much mechanical sympathy to my old girl.

a 6 speed gearbox has crossed my mind but sheesh it would cost a bomb to get one over here :shock

Remember that lugging a V-twin is not a good idea. It will actually have a negative effect.

Remember that lugging a V-twin is not a good idea. It will actually have a negative effect.

by lugging im assuming you mean having her under load whilst revving to low ?

one issue we face on the motorways over here is the average speed is around 80-90 mph it can get a bit hairy when cruising along at 65-70 with the average caged nutcase wizzing past your earhole:D:D so to kind of flow with that traffic requires me to sit at around 3500rpm.

now as i say im new to Harley and worried im pushing her a bit hard even though shes in fine fettle :)

by lugging im assuming you mean having her under load whilst revving to low ?

one issue we face on the motorways over here is the average speed is around 80-90 mph it can get a bit hairy when cruising along at 65-70 with the average caged nutcase wizzing past your earhole:D:D so to kind of flow with that traffic requires me to sit at around 3500rpm.

now as i say im new to Harley and worried im pushing her a bit hard even though shes in fine fettle :)

Yes. At 3,500 rpm you are about 1,500 rpm lower than red line on the newer bikes. It appears that in the traveling situation you have discussed you may just want to leave well enough alone for you will need instant power to avoid a situation that at a lower rpm may not allow you to move and downshifting may cause you to be up against the rev limiter.....:small3d011:

Yes. At 3,500 rpm you are about 1,500 rpm lower than red line on the newer bikes. It appears that in the traveling situation you have discussed you may just want to leave well enough alone for you will need instant power to avoid a situation that at a lower rpm may not allow you to move and downshifting may cause you to be up against the rev limiter.....:small3d011:

i hear ya :) space is a real issue on the roads over here , we have far to many people on this small isle .

ive only been your side of the pond once and fell in love with the wide open spaces:D

im just waiting for the petticoat government to get home then we are taking a ride into london to bimble along the embankment rattle some windows have a bite to eat then home again:D

right back on track im interested to see how oldskoolz fairs in his mission:)

Here's some followup. I changed the tranmission pulley from a stock 32 tooth to a 34 tooth. Put a new belt on at the same time. Stock size new belt. Didn't have to get a longer belt. Since making the change I've done a cross country trip, 6000 miles. It achieved what I was tryin to accomplish. It lowered my rpms 2-300 at 70 mph.

There was one unexpected consequence to be aware of that I'll pass on to anyone who's thinkin of makin this conversion. The increased size of the 34T transmission pulley causes the drive belt to rub against the lower edge of the chaincase housing if the belt is too loose. Prior to changing the pulley, I ran my drive belt a little on the loose side. Now I have to run it closer to spec to avoid the belt rubbin on the chaincase.

This conversion probably isn't for most people. Most don't care if they drop a couple hundred rpms at highway speed. I do care, didn't want to buy a 6 speed tranny, and have been satisfied with the result. It's a very do-able project.

Back