free website stats program Benefits Of Stock | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Benefits Of Stock

A bone stock bike is a pretty rare animal IMO

Jack,

My Ultra is bone stock for the running gear. A few comfort/appearance items. 32K and nary a hiccup.

My Dyna has Reinhardt pipes, SE A/C, and Thundermax fueler. It has had a few minor problems. If I had it to do over again, I would probably have left it stock. However, it gets hot as it is, not sure how hot it would be in stock trim. :D

Can't really say that if you left your bike totally stock it would last longer than say that same bike with Stage I (A/C, Exhaust and Fueler mods) side by side. But if that was all that was modified, I would say the Stage I would live longer, ONLY because it would be operating closer to the optimum temperature with less stress on the internals. The thing that could counter that is the rider, feeling the additional power may run the bike harder..."--just because he can"...and put more miles on the ride because of the improved drivability and comfort. JMHO

This is my all time favorite subject!

Keep it coming. I have two HDs (yes, I'm blessed with a good family, friends, and job(s)). When I bought the Road King, I just had to have all the do dads, shifter linkage, passenger footrest covers, eye lids over the lights, new handlebars (bought the ones that I could keep the cables stock - like I said, I'm cheap!), fairing lowers, pressure gauge, and oil temperature gauge.

But I haven't touched the engine (yet). Why? Again, I guess I'm just plain old cheap! And, my old man, a pretty handy mechanic used to tell me this story when buddies of mine in HS were souping up their cars. He'd say "so, do you think these guys can engineer better systems than the guys working on this stuff daily at Ford or Chevrolet for a living?". That always stuck with me. Also, I seem to remember driving right past the guys on the side of the road with the souped up cars after a few months of racing around. Sort of like the tortoise and the hare I guess...

Anyway, I am still keeping my Ultra Limited completely stock as long as I can. Marketing in America is a strong and hard sell to ignore, let alone peer pressure.

Back