free website stats program Be Careful Out There | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Be Careful Out There

Well, my buddy who is the star of this video found this thread and asked me to post this for him. I will work on getting him to join, I think he would look pretty cool on my deuce, wink, wink, nod, nod. Alex, did you get that? :D

This is the rest of the story, he just wanted you all to know that all is well & good with all parties involved.

"The other rider showed amazing control and skill in the situation. If you watch the video in HI-RES, just after he passes, right about where he crossed the line, you see the road is broken on his side (this whole section of road is sliding off to the right with lots of dangerous breaks and drop offs as much as 4", from start of the video to the end). My friends I was riding with had talked to him later and found out he hit one of those breaks and saved it from low siding, and when he saw he was in my line, he opened his line up (went further to the outside towards the guard rail) and I cut in a LITTLE to correct our lines to miss each other. He was riding with a group that I have ridden with on other occasions and know very well (we are all part of the same group) but he was the only one that wasn't on our forum and was in as a 'guest rider.' He was not in over his head, he just hit a bad spot in the road, that anyone could have hit, and saved it. If he had low sided or not been able to control his bike, this would have ended VERY differently, if he had low sided, he would have most certainly taken me and the rider behind me out. I have no ill will towards this rider, I actually want to meet him and tell him how awesome a rider he is for how he handled himself. Joy can tell you , I am pretty laid back and easy going so I didn't make any insane assumptions as to his malfunction. When we stopped about an hour later, we called the group he had ridden with, they said he was really really sorry and hoped I was ok and that he had not ruined my day of riding (the beginning of this video, is the beginning of my riding day). I made sure he knew I was good and that I just kept going. He said he did hit the guard rail and rode it out and it tore his shoe up and cracked his plastics, no he didn't have riding boots, and no he wasn't upset about tearing up his 'gear', I had on a 1 piece race suit, boots, gloves, helmet; full gear. I always try and pay attention, if it had come to the point where I was going to impact him, I was going to bail left and hope for the best, but when I saw him correct a little to the outside (JUST outside the clear range of the camera), and I corrected in at the same time, I knew we weren't going to hit head on, and when he got half way to me, I realized it was going to be ok (except for the leather suppository i had just been administered...) I will admit that a LOT of people ride over their heads, especially around this and the other roads we took that day, but this was not the case in this instance, This could have happened to ANY of us, the corner was well manageable by anyone with experience at speeds over 80, if the pavement had permitted. He was traveling at about 60-65 when he crossed, I was at about 50 ish. This is the first time in 3 years I had ridden this set of roads, I used to be out there every other weekend with the same crew pounding the pavement. This section has always been very bad pavement, but most of the rest of the roads that day (all 5 hours of it) the roads were amazing and mostly freshly paved.

I used to ride a cruiser (on these roads), a 1983 Yamaha Maxim 650, and I would drag the exhaust in corners, i needed something a bit sportier (no, a SPORTster doesn't qualify.....) I can handle anything I twist the throttle on, but can it handle me Glad you watched (enjoyed?) the video, people have some interesting reactions when I show them. I am in Italy right now and a few of the guys at the customer's site I am working at ride and I showed them and they couldn't believe it. Oh, and for the record, I was 2 up she had pants, armored jacket, and a helmet, no gloves or riding boots.

Ride fast, take chances, and only look back to see who came in second place."

And he wanted to add this:

at the end, after i mentioned her gear, can you also add "she didn't see him coming at us, but felt him pass.... there was at most 15 inches of seperation, probably more like 8-10 inches of separation at the bars"
Thank you

Thanks for sharing your experience with us Alex. :s

Thanks for the story that completes the video. Just proves sometimes the video doesn't tell the whole story.
Glad everyone was OK. That's one scary close call for all involved.

Back