free website stats program Battery | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery

dbmg, you and Steve lead charmed lives. I on the other hand seem to have the luck of Murphy's Law following me.

My battery replacement was preventative, 2003-2004 battery replaced in 2011 because starter was turning sluggish. The sad thing was the new battery proved to be the rascal...with open screw terminal insert...was I lucky it happened to fail one block from my house...well I guess so...if luck is what it is! Glad Murphy was ONLY the name of my dog or a lot of colorful metaphors would have passed my lips that day! Good catch Steve :)

So, just how long should a battery that requires no maintenance and is kept on a tender last. On my Ultra (minimal active accesories) it seems 2years with or without a tender. The last one isn't even 2 years old and has been on a tender when the bike is stored. the electrical system is in proper working order and the tender is operating as designed. So what gives. This last battery came from the H-D shop and cost $148.00 and left me 20 miles from home. Can I get a new lead/acid type battery anymore? I haven't found one out there.

So, just how long should a battery that requires no maintenance and is kept on a tender last. On my Ultra (minimal active accesories) it seems 2years with or without a tender. The last one isn't even 2 years old and has been on a tender when the bike is stored. the electrical system is in proper working order and the tender is operating as designed. So what gives. This last battery came from the H-D shop and cost $148.00 and left me 20 miles from home. Can I get a new lead/acid type battery anymore? I haven't found one out there.

I wonder if there's a difference in battery life on a two phase charging system such as your Evo's and the newer three phase system. (A little input here, Hoople?) It seems that I've been reading consistent 4 yrs. of service and some have lasted 7 yrs. Lead acid batteries can't compare to the new technology. IMO

I had 4 1/2 years out of my old battery on a 92 evo softail i only plugged my tender in when the bike was sitting for a long period ie a month or more and only then for a couple of days
i think my battery got killed by too much voltage from a faulty regulator 17.7 volts so may have lasted longer it was an agm battery

Brian

Back