free website stats program Battery | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery

STEVE07

Staff member
Super Moderators
There was a thread in Jan. asking when to change a battery,most chimed in that the life of our bike batteries seems to be about 5yrs.
I stated that the O.E.M. battery on my 07 was still fine and I had no intention of changing it.
Thurs. night I took my bike off the tender,fired it up and went for a ride.
Brought it home and did my service to get ready to head to Florida.
I didn't bother putting it back on the tender,only a couple days till I load it on the trailer to head south.
Nice morning here so I decided to go for a ride,went out and the bike will barely crank,surface voltage 12.4 drops to 8.7 as soon as you hit the start button,then plunges from there.
Now I am off to Royal Distributing to buy a new battery.
Glad it happened now and not when I went to unload the bike in Florida

Going to retrieve my ride from storage today. Hope all is well. Enjoy your ride today and while you are in Florida.

Only 2 weeks since i found my battery to be lacking sufficient get up and go to start the bike :(
Battery was 4 1/2 years old so perhaps i had got suitable time from it but regulator was pushing out 17.5 volts so may have toasted it :(

Brian

VERY UNUSUAL Steve! These things are supposed to happen when you stop somewhere WAY out of the way, with no cel reception!!

TQ

That thread in January was the reason I bought a new battery for my '07 before I left for Salt Springs. Now your post makes me positive it was the right time to replace.
P.S. I bought mine (Deka) from Bohannan's Battery in Palatka, FL $109 shipped, probably less for pick ups.

Last edited:
Makes me feel better that I started that thread in January and got lots of folks thinking about their batteries. It's one of those components that's very easy to overlook since it usually works great until the day it STOPS working great.

HMMM, sounds familiar, goes to show just how fast a battery can go south

I put a new AVG premium battery in it,$124.Then I went for a nice ride.Stayed on the more travelled roads where the salt that is left is off to the sides.

You must be living right when things break in your driveway or garage instead of away from home :D

I have always said that if you take care of your bike it will take care of you.
In 25 years I had one tow from out on the road home and found a mod I made to bike caused break down....Any other issues that I had happened in the driveway also..

Back