free website stats program Battery voltage | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery voltage

QUOTE Also- another thing to ponder: A cheap handheld voltmeter may not be 100% accurate.

I wouldn't call a Fluke a cheap hand held meter, it was very expensive to purchase. I believe it gives accurate readings.

Yes they do, That is what is in my tool box:s

WOW. Count yourself lucky, Brother. I have had around half a dozen failures on this bike, and about half that many on the little one (Dyna).

TQ
Have you had those failures after you upgraded the whole system with the HO rotor, stator and VR?
I would think that would have improved subsequent failures. My thought are that it did but I was wondering.

Have you had those failures after you upgraded the whole system with the HO rotor, stator and VR?
I would think that would have improved subsequent failures. My thought are that it did but I was wondering.

No. I just did that the last time I had a traumatic failure. In this case, it was a mechanical failure that precipitated the overall failure. The springs on my M6 tensioner broke up getting into the alternator system and doing a bunch of damage. So I replaced all that stuff with the HO rotor, new stator, and new VR. Battery was fine.

TQ

My battery reads 12.25 volts engine off 12.5 at idle, goes to 13.5 when reved up.
Is this what it should be?
I thought 14 volts when reved was correct.

That 12.25 volts, on a Fluke meter, is bad. That battery has seen better days if it can't hold a better charge than that. You might could float it overnight and get some life out of it, but personally I'd budget a new one in...

Back