free website stats program Battery voltage | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery voltage

01 rk

My battery reads 12.25 volts engine off 12.5 at idle, goes to 13.5 when reved up.
Is this what it should be?
I thought 14 volts when reved was correct.

If you are using the HD gauge, they aren't extremely accurate. Best to verify the voltage with a meter at the battery.

My battery reads 12.25 volts engine off 12.5 at idle, goes to 13.5 when reved up.
Is this what it should be?
I thought 14 volts when reved was correct.

As Glider said, you should use a more accurate meter to actually read what the charging system is putting out. But if those are accurate readings, then it sounds like the charging system is getting a bit fatigued. When it is time, you might want to consider upgrading to the high output rotor that will give you significantly better performance out of the alternator.

I would wait until you have a stator failure or VR failure, then upgrade the whole system with the HO rotor, stator and VR.

TQ

As Glider suggest I used a volt meter at the battery, there's no gauge on the RK.
With 88k on it I suspect, as TQ says, the charging system is getting tired.
Never had one fail.

Also- another thing to ponder: A cheap handheld voltmeter may not be 100% accurate.

I wouldn't call a Fluke a cheap hand held meter, it was very expensive to purchase. I believe it gives accurate readings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back