free website stats program Battery Tender For Storage | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Tender For Storage

I disagree on a couple of points:
Charging: While it is preferred to trickle charge for the good of the battery, fast charging will not generally do damage. What do you think your 20A alternator does when the battery is very low?!

Jump starting: Jump starting off a car or truck is fine. The bike will only draw the amps required. Amps don't get pushed through because there's lots of them. Remember your HD has more cubic inches to turn over than a lot of Jap cars these days. If it was practical to put a bigger battery on a bike they would.

I think you are overlooking in your 20A alternator theory that the alternator output (charging rate) at idle is very low and as speed increases, so does the output. If you compare that to using jumpers and connecting a discharged bike battery to a fully charged car battery of lets say 600 or so CCA which is about the average here, this is where the problem comes from in the form of a shock or surge that can blow electronics on the vehicle with the low battery. The higher amperage or differential between the two batteries and not the voltage is what does the damage.

As far as fast charging a battery, that's about the best way to ruin it. The heat generated from the fast charge buckles the plates causing them to short out and the battery is useless then. While it's true you may get away with a fast charge for a short time if you must, it's a calculated risk that you could damage the battery if done for any more than a very short time. A slow trickle charge is the best way to go as long as you monitor the battery temps here also.

I think you are overlooking in your 20A alternator theory that the alternator output (charging rate) at idle is very low and as speed increases, so does the output. If you compare that to using jumpers and connecting a discharged bike battery to a fully charged car battery of lets say 600 or so CCA which is about the average here, this is where the problem comes from in the form of a shock or surge that can blow electronics on the vehicle with the low battery. The higher amperage or differential between the two batteries and not the voltage is what does the damage.
Two different things. The 20A alternator was only in reference to fast charging if you must.

As far as fast charging a battery, that's about the best way to ruin it. The heat generated from the fast charge buckles the plates causing them to short out and the battery is useless then. While it's true you may get away with a fast charge for a short time if you must, it's a calculated risk that you could damage the battery if done for any more than a very short time. A slow trickle charge is the best way to go as long as you monitor the battery temps here also.
Agree. Sometimes it is just not possible to wait 24 hours (or whatever for it to trickle charge). Jump starting and letting the bike charge itself (at a high rate) has in my opinion more risks than using a fast charger to bring battery up to charge (and eliminating having to use jumper leads).

No voodo,just common sense. I was taught this by an electrical wiz who just happens to own the shop that rebuilds starters and alternators for most of the reman.wholesalers.After 30yrs. if he doesn't know his stuff who does?
The old man is an A Grade Mechanic (Auto Electrical) with getting close to 53 years experience and disagrees. A lot of the faults that people blame on the jumping are actually there in the first place, hence the battery is flat!

Anyway...the reason I was browsing this topic is wanting to know where people mount their battery tender plugs. I have mine cable tied to the frame coming out from the battery box just below the seat. Like most things there is probably a better way of doing it. Anyone have some cool way of keeping them out of the way but still usable?

I have heated gear, so I just plug my tender into the leads to the battery. These are setting just left front of the seat. On my wife, I installed an water proof auxiliary similar to a cigarette lighter. Works great with the trickle charger.
Ugly John

I disagree on a couple of points:
Charging: While it is preferred to trickle charge for the good of the battery, fast charging will not generally do damage. What do you think your 20A alternator does when the battery is very low?!

Jump starting: Jump starting off a car or truck is fine. The bike will only draw the amps required. Amps don't get pushed through because there's lots of them. Remember your HD has more cubic inches to turn over than a lot of Jap cars these days. If it was practical to put a bigger battery on a bike they would.

Both points are well taken when put in perspective...

Charging: the Battery tender cannot charge a totally dead battery (especially if you have one or more cells in the battery internally shorted. If the battery is completely discharged, it drops the Battery tender voltage to zero where it cannot maintain high current draw simulateneously, so yes in that case you may have to use a charger to be able to drive enough current and raise initial voltage level of charge high enough to initiate charge cycle. it can keep up with. Also, use only a 6V charger for 6V system, do not use a 12V charger under any circumstances! You WILL fry your 6V system if you attach a 12V charger. :(

Jump starting: As long as the car engine is not running, and you only use the car battery to "supplement" the motorcycle battery, you are correct. But if you have the car engine running, the dead motorcycle battery cannot dampen the car alternator's voltage transients and these surges and spikes can easily damage the motorcycle regulator, downstream ECM and other solid state electronic components...DON'T ATTACH YOUR BIKE TO A RUNNING SOURCE VEHICLE...all it takes is one spike to fry the works. :shock

Last edited:
I do not often recommend stuff and definitely not unless I have used it myself, but I have to second everyone above about the Battery Tender Junior from Deltran Corp. I have put one on my UC, and was impressed at what you get. Charging unit, two cable options - one with eyes to mount to the battery, and another with clamps to use adhoc, and instructions in English and French!! The "red" lead has an automotive style .75A fuse in-line, and the quick connect pig-tail has a cover when not in use! Check out info on the unit here:

Batterytender.com - Home of All Your Charging Needs Battery Tender Jr.

You can see the MSRP is US$39.95, but I bought mine from Motorcycle Superstore - Motorcycle Accessories and Motorcycle Gear
on sale for US$19.99 (now up to $29.99).

I posted some picts here. Ran the pig-tail on the right side bag frame. Will tuck it in the leather fore-bag when not in use.

This is a good little unit that will completely charge and then maintain a battery in the bike or on the shelf. I think those of us with baggers that have lots of electrical gadgets should invest in one. After parking the bike, just plug it in!!

TQ

I concur. The Battery Tender Jr. is cheap and easy to use. Now, if I can only remember to use it...

Back