free website stats program Battery Operated String Trimmer | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Operated String Trimmer

I would go with a gas powered unit. Cheaper and easier to modify all the way through Stage 4. I don't know if Dobeck has any fuelers for them yet.
WAP.gif
OK Mister Bueller do you know if I can retro fit my stock slip-ons?

I've got a Black and Decker rechargeable I picked up at Sears. This is going to be my third season for it, and it still works great. It came with two batteries so I've always got one ready to go. I don't have a huge yard, I think my lot is around 7000 sq ft, but it does all the trimming on a single charge. Sidewalks, around the trees, edging, etc. I think it was around $70.

I've got a Black and Decker rechargeable I picked up at Sears. This is going to be my third season for it, and it still works great. It came with two batteries so I've always got one ready to go. I don't have a huge yard, I think my lot is around 7000 sq ft, but it does all the trimming on a single charge. Sidewalks, around the trees, edging, etc. I think it was around $70.

Sounding like B&D is the hands down favorite. I thought Craftsman would at least get some mention. Thanks for the reply.

Went with the Black & Decker LST220. 2ea. 20 volt lithium batteries. 15 lbs $130 plus 7% tax. Figured the lithium batteries are at least $30 each. Thanks boys

Webbtron, good choice...the "weak" link to battery powered tools has always been the type of batteries used. Nowadays NimH (nickel-metal-hydrid) or LiOn Lithium Ion type batteries are more prevalent...head and shoulders ahead of the terrible NiCd (nickel cadmium) ones which never hold a charge for long, had memory/charge cycle issues and probably the main reason most people throw away their power tools. BTW, you can go to Batteries Plus and replace the NiCd ones w/NimH ones, expensive but I extended the use of my 12 year old tools. Though I recently found a LiOn Bosch kit on Craigslist, so maybe it was time and change may eclipse recycling your old tools...!

IMO the gas powered one's are the way to go. They are plentiful, just about every garden store has some, and if you don't want to go new, your average yard sale usually has a few for a couple of bucks. The electric one's can be finicky and power cords can also be expensive if you don't have a few on hand.

Black & Decker 18 volt rechargeable. Comes with two batteries but I've never had to use the 2nd one. It is part of a line of yard tools that all use the same battery.
I have a big yard and can do it all on one battery. I got tired of hauling gas, mixing gas, spilling gas trying to fill the small tank...gas powered trimmers are a pain to me.
Black and Decker 18 Volt System

I have had all kinds and now have a Stihl trimmer, leaf blower and chain saw. Never had a problem. Always starts with just two pulls mostly.

Back