free website stats program Battery on tender problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery on tender problem

Perhaps the extreme cold of the last couple of weeks have killed the battery it is not unusual for beginning of winter to bring in death to a battery and the last couple of weeks have been a lot colder than we would normally expect
It took me a fair bit of time with a shovel to dig out the area round the doors of the 2 sheds to be able to get to the bikes
but the thaw over the last 48 hours has got rid of all that snow

Brian

Update:
Checked this am and still gettin a red light. On advice of dbmg decided to unplug the tender from the pigtail for a while to see how that would go. While I was fiddling with the socket, trying to pull the lead off, the light on the tender turned to orange - which means " battery badly discharged/slightly sulphated; RECOVERING".
Could this indicate maybe a faulty connection in the terminal/socket where you connect the tender to the pigtail?? I hav'nt a clue what's goin on here because the tender was indicating full charge for the better part of the last 2 weeks (green light) and has'nt been touched since it was hooked up.
I'm going to leave it for the day as I'm away and will check tonight. Hopefully it will recharge and give me the green light again. Typical - weather's turning mild this weekend and was hoping to get on the road....
Thanks all, will report later

Next step would be to remove battery and have tested if the tender pigtail looks good at all connections including at battery posts...

If all connections are tight and clean and problem remains, take battery out and have it load tested. Sounds to me like a cell breaking down, load test will show this.
Can you check to see if cells are full? Some tops will pry off, some won't.
Ride Safe
wilks3

The battery tender keeps it charged then trickle charges from there when it gets real cold the battery will still drain so the charger shoul kick back on just keep a eye on it i think it will be fine, If not look at the connections and if still take out and do a load test. It could have gone bad do to the cold.

Well, justs checked again after being away all day and what do ya know. tender is showing a green light!!. Which means full charge! (I hope).
No idea what's goin on here but since she seems to be charged and weather's got mild & forecast looks good, I'm really gonna test her tomorrow.
Feel like a bit of a drama queeen now to be honest what with asking all these questions and all but I'd would like to say I really appreciate all the comments & advice from the good folks here.
I'll let ye all know how tomorrow goes and If anything further occurs I'll be back piickin yer brains again.....

Don't mean to hijack a thread, but..... has anyone ever done this?

I plugged in a charger once and it didn't seem to be doing the job. After checking every connection and whatever else I could think of, it finally dawned on me that I'd plugged it into a switched wall socket....when I turned off the lights in the garage, the wall socket went dead! Duhhhh!

Ok, bike has been on the tender now for over 3 weeks and green light has been showing, indicating that the tender is in "maintain" mode.
Went to start the bike today. Indicator lights flashed, running light came on and then the alarm activated - its screamin away there for about 10 - 20 secs and am wondrin what to do; after it stops I hit run and the fuel pump made the normal sound but when I hit the starter button - nothing!
Also the green light on the tender went to orange which means "battery badly discharged, recovering"
Anyone know what would cause this? Does the alarm activation mean that the battery is goosed - despite it being on the tender?

Ok, bike has been on the tender now for over 3 weeks and green light has been showing, indicating that the tender is in "maintain" mode.
Went to start the bike today. Indicator lights flashed, running light came on and then the alarm activated - its screamin away there for about 10 - 20 secs and am wondrin what to do; after it stops I hit run and the fuel pump made the normal sound but when I hit the starter button - nothing!
Also the green light on the tender went to orange which means "battery badly discharged, recovering"
Anyone know what would cause this? Does the alarm activation mean that the battery is goosed - despite it being on the tender?

Most likely you have a battery that will take a surface charge but under load it fails, it should not take that long to bring a battery up JMO replace the battery

Try unplugging Tender from outlet for a little while and plug back in and see what happens......

I have no idea if your tender is like mine, but when that happens to me, I must unplug both the wall power from the tender and the battery connection to the tender. Not disconnecting both seems to retain within the tender the memory of the malfunction/overload. If I turn on either ignition or acc while the tender is connected, I get the malfunction light in a few minutes. Perhaps the sudden increased draw translates to a battery failure to the tender, just a guess.

Back